Skip to main content

DNS Issue Pls help

More
19 years 10 months ago #4138 by kingoftechs
Hi guys,

Have a prob pls help, I have a linksys router and some machines, Only one machine is unable to resolve DNS. It pings all web sites with the Ip address but not with names. Other 36 machines on the same network work fine.

(XP Machine)

Have tried.
1 Uninstalling and reinstalling the card.
2 TCP/Ip stack refresh
3 Put static DNS addresses from the router to the Machine
4 Firmware upgrade of the router.

Am left with nothing so pls help me.

Rakesh Menon
More
19 years 10 months ago #4145 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: DNS Issue Pls help
Sniff

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 10 months ago #4151 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Re: DNS Issue Pls help
Try placing a known working box on that network drop and see what happens. Then place bad box on known working network drop. This will tell you if its box or drop, then we know which way to tech.

Good Luck.

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
19 years 10 months ago #4182 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic DNS
What do you get when you do an nslookup on that machine? Try looking up some names / addresses that you know work on other machines and see what comes back
More
19 years 10 months ago #4185 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: DNS Issue Pls help
King Of Technology :)

You have 37 machines of which one refuses to resolve DNS queries - This is what I call a machine with a bad attitude, but we'll take care of it.

As I've noted on another post, the information provide is sometimes not enough, and we need to try and understand your setup, problem and help you resolve it.

For this to happen, we need acurate information that will help nail the problem home.

1) Provide Network Address information - what IP/Subnet mask are you using for the network - it is the same for all 37 machines?

2) How do you connect to the Internet ? Dialup router or leased line?

3) DNS Server - Are your 37 machines configured to use an internal DNS server or external?

4) On a machine with no DNS problems, type "ipconfig /all" .
On the machine with the DNS problem, type the same.

5) Copy paste both results here

6) Run 'nslookup' on both above machines - type " www.firewall.cx " and tell us if it worked for both machines.

7) If there is anything special setup on your network, e.g firewall or other device that might be causing the problem, let us know. Also tell us what O/S both workstations are running.

We'll have an answer back as soon as you provide the above information.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds