Skip to main content

Am I getting the bandwidth I am paying for ?

More
11 years 11 months ago #37978 by sose
I bought a I megabyte per second Internet connection from an ISP. Therefore, when I am downloading a 10 megabyte file online I expect to get it in 10 second. In practice it is not like that. what are the other factors militating against my download speed?
More
11 years 6 months ago #38143 by Chojin
your TCP / application overhead is one of the factors.

Also window sizing of TCP.
TCP has the property to push as much bandwidth through your lines until it gets dropped. Then it halves down its speed and pushes again until it gets dropped.. this way you get an effective speed of 75% of your maximum bandwidth. Count in some jitter, delay, etc, etc..

Also notice most speeds are specified in Bits instead of Bytes. So a 10MBit link is actually 1.25 MByte/sec.

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
11 years 5 months ago #38174 by Rockape
The other thing worth considering is how many other users are there in the local area using that "pipe". You might be facing contention issues.
More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #38179 by S0lo

sose wrote: I bought a I megabyte per second Internet connection from an ISP. Therefore, when I am downloading a 10 megabyte file online I expect to get it in 10 second. In practice it is not like that. what are the other factors militating against my download speed?

That's probably 1 Mega BITs per second, not 1 Mega BYTEs per second. To convert to Bytes, divide by 8. So thats 1/8 = 0.125 Mega Bytes per second. Thats your speed.

Rule of thumb:

If you see Mbps (the b is small letter), that means it bits. If you see MBps (the B is capital letter) that means it's bytes.

ISP speeds are usually advertised in Mbps. Tricky to catch I have to say.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by S0lo.
More
11 years 5 months ago #38182 by sose
Thanks solo, most are actually staed in Mb but yet they download speed will not correspond
More
11 years 3 months ago #38206 by Nevins
You should be able to get a pretty clear result from a speed test site.

www.speedtest.net/

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds