Skip to main content

Routing Protocol RIP its max hop count is 15 why!

• truesdq
  • Topic Author
  • I am simple and have friendly nature
More
12 years 2 months ago #37824 by truesdq
As the Routing Protocol RIP its max hop count is 15
As every interface of the Router receives and fowards the updates then why this limits to 15
consider Router1 sends its routing table to R2 then R3... R4 to R5 and ... R15 then ofcourse R15 will aslo forward
the routing table updates , or the Router15 would know itself as it is 15 and i can't do this
Becouse every router involues sharing its routing table to others.. Router16 must have updates of Router 15 because as they re neighbors
i don't say that R1 should have sent its updates to R16 but its neighbor should ,,,
needed your asssistance :whistle:

simplest
  • truesdq
  • Topic Author
  • I am simple and have friendly nature
More
12 years 2 months ago #37827 by truesdq
After posting Question i got the idea about RIP max count 15 and how router shows
beahvair to the router16, 17 ... so on...
when the router receive updates as routing tables it looks inside and accepts everything
rather than route/s which hop 16 , 17 ... so on ,,, although 16 as poisoning ,,, done entry for
route 16 but ICMP unreachable if any trafic goes on route 16...

Consider 20 routers ... R1 to R20
R1 accepting updates from R2,R3,R4...upto R15 , done entries in its routing table ,,;although 16
was declared poisoning and for router 17, 18,19,20 not because RIP has nature it only accepts routes
hop count 1 to 15 not beyond that...
but as ROUTER2 has enetries in its routing table from R4 to R16 including R1 because R1 is counted directly as R4 to
R3...

if my idea wrong then please correct me

simplest
More
12 years 2 months ago #37828 by Chris
truesdq,

The idea of a maximum hop of 15 is simple. It avoids loops and ensures the RIP routing tables do not exceed specific sizes. This limit is per design and since RIP is an extremely old routing protocol, its logical that it will have more limitations than today's popular routing protocols such as EIGRP, OSFP e.t.c.

Personally, I don't know anyone that's using RIP these days, so I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

Btw, you've got the logic of RIP correct :)

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds