Skip to main content

connectin establishment, session & TCP

• truesdq
  • Topic Author
  • I am simple and have friendly nature
More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #37653 by truesdq
What is the difference between the session layer and the transport layer with respect to connection establishment? TCP uses 3-way handshake, while session also starts, maints and terminates connection, so what is the difference?

Maybe I just discovered a duplication of functions...

B) (what i asked this like Question was in my mind for so long but still i am confused about this Question because as TCP at transport layer one of its responsibility is to create connection between source to destination and maintained till completed all segments and then terminated connection and TCP is also stateless PROTOCOL because it creates separate connection for separate users if any and process to process delivery...
if TCP does this all then why session layer also does create any session means make connection b/w source to destination ?
and one thing else i found on internet that session layer work with UDP that session layer makes connection for UDP and maintained till to complete all segments being sent then terminates connection...is this true ?
i am not sure )
I will appreciate your assistance

simplest
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by truesdq.
More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #37658 by S0lo
Thats a good question,

To clear one of thing, TCP/IP does NOT use a session layer, check: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_protocol_suite . That means the responsibilities of the session layer in TCP/IP are thrown on the layers above or below (i.e transport layer or the application layer).

As for the OSI model, as far as I know, the real differences are in the level of functions done by both. The transport layer controls the reliability of a connection through flow control, segmentation/desegmentatio, and error control. While the session layer handles higher level issues like security, logging, permissions, authentication and some others.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by S0lo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: truesdq
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds