Skip to main content

Ethernet cable

More
12 years 7 months ago #37285 by fazisha
Ethernet cable was created by fazisha
What kind of ethernet cable should I be buying to connect my Xbox 360 to the internet? I finally figured out how I plan to connect my Xbox to the internet, but I need a really long ethernet cable to do so. I have heard that their are several types of ethernet cables, so I was wondering what type should be used for online gaming? Will the ones at typical departmant stores suffice?
12 years 7 months ago #37287 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: Ethernet cable
Chances are your Xbox uses the standard Category5 or Category5e cable.

See this link:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

It's not complicated it's actually really simple. A category 5 cable is simply 8 small color-coated copper wires that lock in with a connector. Based on the fact that you just need to know what to connect to where I'll provide you with a simple visual map.

(the picture shows an original Xbox not a 360 but the concept is the same and there really isn't any way to mess it up think putting pegs into slotted holes just make sure you get the right cable)

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
12 years 7 months ago #37288 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: Ethernet cable
There's nothing special about the cable you need, the department store ones should suffice although that might not be the cheapest option. Shop around for the best deal, specially if you need a long one. The theoretical maximum length of a UTP Ethernet cable is 100 metres and you can buy them in ready-made long lengths. And as Nevins says, just plug it in.
More
12 years 7 months ago #37289 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: Ethernet cable
Just to clarify that image was only meant to show it should be really easy to do and nearly impossible to mess up. I have no intent to suggest anything else as you asked a valid question in a respectable manner.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
12 years 7 months ago #37293 by pedenski
Replied by pedenski on topic Re: Ethernet cable

Patch cable or Fast Ethernet Cable

look for this. this should satisfy your query.
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds