Skip to main content

wireless implementation

More
12 years 10 months ago #36947 by xNegma
Hi guys,

i have some doubts about adding wireless capabilities to a network. For example, i added about 5 wireless router to a switch based on different department like Marketing, HR, Engineering.

- Do i need to create a new VLAN for Wireless?
- If the above is true, my access lists that i implemented on the router will be affected because those users using wireless have access to my servers etc.

- How many hosts do i need to create in general for Wireless, or i could use an ip address on each department.
More
12 years 10 months ago #36995 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: wireless implementation

i added about 5 wireless router to a switch based on different department like Marketing, HR, Engineering.

Just to make sure here, did you add 5 wireless access points or wireless routers? there is a big deference.

Any way, assuming they are access points, then NO, you don't need to create VLANs for wireless (although you can). If you already have VLANs on your switch, just connect the access points to ACCESS ports on the switch, not TRUNK ports.

Unless, those access points have VLAN capability, then you can (if you want) connect the access points to TRUNK ports on the switch and configure the access points accordingly. In this configuration, you can have multiple VLAN on each access points.

The 1st case is probably best and simplest in your scenario. I hope I understood your question well though :)

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds