Skip to main content

Basic networking help needed using Packet Tracer

More
13 years 6 days ago #36772 by Dingo_Tush
Hi,

I don't have a lot of experience working with switches and routers, so I need some help getting a Cisco Packet Tracer simulation to work. Plus I am new to the forum so I might not know how to correctly ask what I am trying to ask, so please bear with me.

In the sample I have 1 router and 2 switches. There are 4 servers, 6 workstations and 2 printers. Basically half the "office" is connected to one switch and the other half of the office is connected to the other switch. Both switches are connected to each other via Cross-Over cables in the Gigabit ports.

I am trying to get the switch to register everyones MAC address and their IP's but I don't know how to do that. I don't know much about vlans but I thought if I just use vlan 1 for everyone, then all the ports will be able to communicate. On a different sample network I ran setup on a switch which then turned on the vlan, but it still didn't register any MAC's or IP's.

I am also trying to give switch0 an IP address and switch1 an address as well, but when I turn on DHCP (on a PC), it will assign the PC an address I saved for the switch. I don't know how to assign an IP address to a switch. I gave the router an IP address that DHCP seems to recognize but the link is still down.

I have read a lot of pages about different Cisco commands but I don't have a good grasp on the basics, so I get kind of lost when reading all the different commands. I was hoping to get a head start by learning and doing some hands on stuff to help my basic understanding of networking, vlans, OSI model, etc....

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

A young boy puts a feather into his mouth...
More
13 years 6 days ago #36773 by Dingo_Tush
It says I cannot attach a .pkt file? I apologize, I thought I would be able to attach that. Is there a way I can attach a Cisco Packet tracer file?

A young boy puts a feather into his mouth...
More
13 years 5 days ago #36783 by rizin
Hi dingo,

You should got to learn more basic as you mentioned. You can read it from Firewall.cx and it is really splitted into more articles to give better understanding.

Once you studied for 1 Week get back to us, we will surely help you out.

Packet tracer is a good and easy tool, however you need some basic knowledge in OSI Model, Networking routers and switches. The only solution is that you got to sit and read and understand the complete basic networking articles from Firewall.cx.

If you really want to master the networking you should be strong in basic knowledge preferable understand the OSI Model, read one by one, bit by bit.

Regards,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds