Skip to main content

Clarity on basics.

More
13 years 2 months ago #36267 by chills
Clarity on basics. was created by chills
Hi Friends,

I need clarity on few things please help.

1. Why RIP's max hop count is limited to 15?
2. Why "Next hop" field is not included in RIP 1 header format?
3. How many RIP updates will be sent at one time if there are 100 routers connected in a network?
4. How does RIP 1 and RIP 2 differ in their communication?
5. If 2 routers have RIP 1 and RIP 2 running on them respectively can they communicate with each other? If no, then how can we make the routers to communicate?

Awaiting for the answers. More question are yet to be posted.

Thanks in advance!!
More
13 years 2 months ago #36268 by rizin
Replied by rizin on topic Re: Clarity on basics.
Hi,

I'm going to tell you some brief currently to make you happy since it is your First Post, I will explain in details as soon as possible.

Ans: 15 is the default in RIP and when it reaches 16 it is act as doomed.

3. How many RIP updates will be sent at one time if there are 100 routers connected in a network?

Ans: You cannot able to connect More than 15 routers in RIP Network.

Ans: RIP Version 1 support only the Classfull IP Address like /8 /16 /24. RIP Version 2 Support Classless IP Addresses too. And morever it will Update the subnet mask and RIPv1 Not.

5. If 2 routers have RIP 1 and RIP 2 running on them respectively can they communicate with each other? If no, then how can we make the routers to communicate?

Ans: Yes RIPv1 and RIPv2 Can Communicate with each other.

You will get more details from our members soon and also as i told you above i will let you know the details as soon as possible.

Good Luck,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
13 years 2 months ago #36269 by chills
Replied by chills on topic Re: Clarity on basics.
Thank you for your valuable response Rizin.

I will be waiting for the detailed answers.

1. Why RIP's max hop count is limited to 15?[/quote]

I agree that 15 is the default but why is the default value 15 why not 10 or any other number?

Hi,

I'm going to tell you some brief currently to make you happy since it is your First Post, I will explain in details as soon as possible.

Ans: RIP Version 1 support only the Classfull IP Address like /8 /16 /24. RIP Version 2 Support Classless IP Addresses too. And morever it will Update the subnet mask and RIPv1 Not.

Ans: Yes RIPv1 and RIPv2 Can Communicate with each other.

You will get more details from our members soon and also as i told you above i will let you know the details as soon as possible.

Good Luck,

Rizin

More
13 years 2 months ago #36273 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Clarity on basics.
@chills
let me ask you a question. why is IPv4 IP supply limiited to 4 billion ?

RIP is a very old protocol since the days of the ARPANET, and hop count of 15 is what the designers can afford to give us, that is why it is not suitable for large networks. Practically it can be made to handle more than 15 but there is the possibility of performance implication.

further reading
www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1058.html
More
13 years 2 months ago #36319 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Clarity on basics.

Just a small correction here to rizin's very good answers. As far as I know, you CAN infact connect more than 15 routers in a single RIP network, you just can't stack them together in a way to form a path/line that is more than 15 hops in length. In other words, the 15 limit is only for the maximum hop count per path/route, NOT for the total number of routers per network.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
13 years 2 months ago #36324 by rizin
Replied by rizin on topic Re: Clarity on basics.
Hi Ammar,

Thanks for correcting my errors, infact it is really fruitful :)

Regards,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds