Skip to main content

VPN router

More
13 years 2 months ago #36074 by bigjimmy
VPN router was created by bigjimmy
Hello there,
would really appreciate if someone can help:

I need to connect to my home network via VPN, so I can access files on my network and also to connect to the internet via my home connection.

I found this router: www.dlink.com/products/?pid=564
DIR-330 WIRELESS G VPN ROUTER, the DIR-330 has an integrated VPN Client and Server to support almost any required VPN policy.

I am not sure if this is sufficient to do the job, or would I need additional hardware/software,
It there other SOHO level VPN, that I can set up username/password on the router (with no additional hardware software on my PCs).
or what kind of VPN requirements should I be looking for I purchase the router?

please help
thanks!
More
13 years 2 months ago #36077 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: VPN router
bigjimmy,

I can understand connecting to your home in order to view files, but why would you want to also pass your Internet traffic through the VPN? This would put a large overhead on your connection and it will run slow.

Personally, I don't know of anyone today that does this anymore. I'm not sure if its even possible with the model you mentioned. More expensive VPN routers/firewalls designed for companies will support the features you require.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
13 years 2 months ago #36078 by bigjimmy
Replied by bigjimmy on topic Re: VPN router
Chris:

thank you for your reply, the reason being that I travel to China quite often, and there is a GFW in China which many of the website, ie. Facebook, are blocked in China, hence the VPN connection idea.

thanks
More
13 years 2 months ago #36096 by rizin
Replied by rizin on topic Re: VPN router
Hi,

@Jimmy, What kind of sites would u like to browse in china if it is face book and other social network, i suggest you to install Mozilla Firefox browser in your laptop and add-ons tor proxy.net, which gives you anonymous browsing in the browser itself w/o any additional software.

Good Luck !

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
13 years 2 months ago #36112 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: VPN router
thumbs up rizin on your suggestion!

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
13 years 2 months ago #36122 by rizin