Skip to main content

ethernet

More
13 years 4 months ago #35863 by vejerraa
ethernet was created by vejerraa
How do I get my ethernet cable to work on a wireless computer? I am usually connected to my university's network wirelessly, but sometimes it is slow, so I bought an ethernet cable to plug into the wall. However, to test it I turned off my wireless, and the computer doesn't seem to be getting internet through the cable. Any ideas?
13 years 4 months ago #35865 by Chojin
Replied by Chojin on topic Re: ethernet
Have you tried to twist the cable before plugging it in?

:).

I would suggest ask someone on the university (a teacher whould probably know) what kind of cable you need and even verify your connection. most easy way.

We can all guess here, but they know how it should be.

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
13 years 4 months ago #35869 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: ethernet
Better ask the network admin
More
13 years 4 months ago #35871 by Chojin
Replied by Chojin on topic Re: ethernet

Better ask the network admin

Speaking from experience, those guys are most of the time too lazy to do anything :)

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
13 years 4 months ago #35880 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: ethernet
vejerraa, I assume here that the link led lights up when you wire it in. If it doesn't, this wall socket is not pysically connect.

By default DHCP is enabled on a Windows PC (if you have not made any changes to NIC IP). In plain English, this means that your PC would automaticaly get an IP and connect, if there was a DHCP server runnnig in that wired network. Since it didn't work, this probably mean that they are using static IPs.

So the straight forward way is to ask the administrator to help you put a correct IP configuration there. Or if you see some one able to connect, just ask him how he did it, he probably got it from an admin.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds