Skip to main content

Ethernet

More
13 years 6 months ago #35539 by parkery
Ethernet was created by parkery
What is the difference between a cat 5 and a cat 6 ethernet cable when i hook up my 360 to xbox live? I am trying to connect my 360 to live but the ethernet cable that came with it is too short. What is the difference between cat 5 and cat 6 ethernet cables?
13 years 6 months ago #35542 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Ethernet
Cat 5 has a maximum speed of 100Mbps. While Cat 6 can use Gibabit ethernet which has a maximum speed of 1Gbps.

However, the Xbox 360 as far as I know has an ethernet port with a maximum of 100Mbps (i.e it's not gigabit). So it probably won't make a deference if you get Cat 5 or Cat 6. Besides, if your ISP speed is lower than 100Mbps (which is usually is) then it will definitely not make any deference.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
13 years 6 months ago #35544 by Losh
Replied by Losh on topic Re: Ethernet
The Cat6 cable also has a plastic splitter in between the twisted-pair copper wires that reduces cross-talk and interferance & interferance from the magnetic field of electrical cables nearby

~ Networking :- Just when u think its starting to make sense......... ~
13 years 3 months ago #36103 by fazisha
Replied by fazisha on topic Re: Ethernet
I have a Ethernet Connection Router, but I also bought a Wireless Connection for my laptop. Should I use both? I have a Ethernet Router and recently bought a Wireless Connection Router for my laptop. I have 3 computers and would like to have the router in my room with my desktop and the Wireless router in the other room with the other 2 computers + my laptop. Is it a good idea to be running 2 routers at the same time? Or should I just hook up the Wireless for all 3 desktop computers + laptop?
13 years 3 months ago #36111 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Ethernet
Wired connections are usually faster and more reliable than wireless ones. And there is no problem in using 2 routers together if configured correctly.

The only disadvantage of cascading two routers one after another behind one ISP connection, is DELAY (due to latency), since packets from the second router will have to pass through the first router which is connected to the wall. Ideally, if your new wireless router has Ethernet ports, you could use that and get rid of the old router. This way all packets will only pass through one router before they reach the wall (ISP).

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds