Skip to main content

Basic Question on IP address assignment

More
13 years 8 months ago #35288 by skylimit
nnbnbnnbnbHi all,

I'm hoping I can get help with assigning IP addresses for a network setup at work. Basically, we have a PC with 3 NICs. One connects to our clients corporate network, while the other two are for us the service provider to use. The PC runs an application that communicates with a component on our network over a VPN connection. For redundancy, two basic routers have been installed so that should the VPN via ISP1 fail, the backup router can route traffic.

Is it technically correct to assign IP addresses to the two NICs as I have done it in the diagram below? i.e. can I have two NICs on the same network (192.168.1.0/24)?

NIC1: 192.168.1.1/24
NIC2: 192.168.1.3/24

img245.imageshack.us/img245/9389/vpnsetup.jpg
OR is it technically correct to have both NICs on diff networks like so:
NIC1: 192.168.1.1/24
NIC2: 192.168.0.1/24
img59.imageshack.us/img59/1765/vpnsetup2.jpg

The initial idea was to connect both router to a switch, but my client cant be bothered to get a switch. Static routes are set on the box so that the app can failover if required.

Any contributions appreciated

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
13 years 8 months ago #35289 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic 2 NIC one PC
Hi skylimit

I can't find any problems with your arrangement. One point to make sure of.
If there are any applications that need to use either of the network cards, you might have to ensure that manually, so use specific routes. You might even want to setup some static routes on the pc based on source IP address, if and only if you need it.

Otherwise don't see any problem with the arrangement.

Cheers

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
13 years 8 months ago #35290 by Losh
Hi. Actually i too dont see any issue with the two configurations unless you are using dhcp. The 2 will work ok,u just need to correctly configure the default gateway and ip routes.

~ Networking :- Just when u think its starting to make sense......... ~