Skip to main content

Ethernet

More
13 years 10 months ago #34667 by debaroti
Ethernet was created by debaroti
How do I extend my wireless network to have a wired ethernet point?
I have a time capsule that acts as my wireless router through which I operate several computers, games consoles etc. I have just bought a Lorex cctv system which requires an ethernet connection, but this is too far from the router to run a cable. My wireless signal reaches the monitor (my office) but it's a ethernet connection I need. Any ideas?
13 years 10 months ago #34671 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic Access Point
Hi
Your best bet would be to use a wireless access point with Ethernet interfaces, to increase your reach, and also avail Ethernet connectivity. You can use another time capsule for this purpose. Not sure if any third party access point will work with a time capsule. Try a google search to find if there are any available that works.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
13 years 10 months ago #34679 by broadcaststorm
Replied by broadcaststorm on topic Re: Ethernet
Fastethernet will go a whole lot further than 100 metres. The measurement for "range" on the cable is a hangover from Ethernet where if a cable was over 100m long, CSMA/CD could incorrectly interpret collisions on the cable...
You could add an unmanaged switch as a repeater if you want to keep cable runs under 100 metres although there is no need unless you get to cables that are a LOT longer than 100m. I use these or these in home networks that I design and build. As long as the CCTV unit / camera has an IP address in the same subnet as the rest of the network (probably the 192.168.0.0/24 range) then it should be plug 'n' play.
So the router ethernet port will connect to one port on the switch, then the rest of the ports on the switch can be attached to any device you like. Ordinary Fastethernet has plenty of bandwidth even for full 1080p high definition video, but as Gigabit ethernet is readily available and uses identical cabling to Fastethernet (making it backwards compatible too), then why not use it :wink:
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds