Skip to main content

routing protocols errors

More
13 years 11 months ago #34560 by kchong_14
Hey guys,

just wanting to ask some advise.
I will be doing a research on different routing protocols error and common misconfiguration that can bog down the entire network. And with the help of EEM, to automatically detect these errors.

I will be doing a research on the IGP and EGP protocols, and thus is searching for all possible routing faults that can happen such as routing loops, route flapping, forgetting to summarize, mistyped subnet mask, etc..etc..

I want to ask you guys if you can help me with mentioning all the most common made misconfiguration and typos, as well as all possible routing faults that can happen. (RIPv2, EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS, BGP). So actually everything that can go wrong with routing on the internet (with routing protocols).

Would be very helpful for me and to see if I have covered the most important stuff.

Thanks for your time!!

Regards,
Kenneth

Kenneth Chong
More
13 years 11 months ago #34592 by broadcaststorm
It's a "How long is a piece of string?" type question. I doubt even between all of us we have never seen all the possible outcomes of routing protocol failures and the associated error messages. The main ones would, IME (and as you already seem to realise), be typos or incorrectly configured interfaces or network statements. Some of those errors will produce no error messages at all, just a network that doesn't work and which requires some fault finding.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds