Skip to main content

good looking problem

More
14 years 1 month ago #33856 by m2r0007
good looking problem was created by m2r0007
yeh guyzz,
got a problemooooo!

I got 4 links with unequal delays of ratio 1:2:4:8 i.e., 1st link has a delay of 1sec, 2nd link 2sec and so on....... now if i have bandwidth of say 'B' how do i equally share bandwidth among the 4 given links connected to a router....!!!!!!!!!

for starters, link with less delay pumps in more packets(with more delay less packet) and eats up bandwidth if not equally shared...

full calculation description please !!!!!!! weak in maths :oops: :oops:
More
14 years 1 month ago #33857 by Perlhack
Replied by Perlhack on topic Re: good looking problem
Are you referring to delay on the interface? If so, this is not physical delay, the delay value is used by some routing protocols.
More
14 years 1 month ago #33858 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: good looking problem
I would have to agree this question seems pretty ambiguous. Anyways I'm going to make a stab at answering based on what you've asked. (maybe you can clarify the question later)

The first thing I have to point out is that no matter how your calculating delay. Your links must be different speeds if you want to equally share bandwidth.

In an effort to point out why delay needs to be more clearly defined I've set the link speed to infinity:
(The below graphs assume once the delay time is met it continually sends data at link speed until alloted bandwidth is exhausted)

Infinitely fast links clearly will not supply an alloted bandwidth equally over delayed links. So I've decided to slow down the link speeds to get another polar opposite perspective on the situation.

Based on the above I would say your looking at a TWO factors:

DELAY
ALLOTTED BANDWIDTH PER UNIT OF TIME

DELAY in this case is pretty fickle I'm not sure if you mean INITIAL DELAY or DELAY BETWEEN TRANSMISSION or even if your talking about something else.

(for the above I assumed initial DELAY)

Do yourself a solid and clearly define the problem in the future; you'll learn more and get more useful answers.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
14 years 1 month ago #33928 by broadcaststorm

I got 4 links with unequal delays of ratio 1:2:4:8 i.e., 1st link has a delay of 1sec, 2nd link 2sec and so on....... now if i have bandwidth of say 'B' how do i equally share bandwidth among the 4 given links connected to a router....!!!!!!!!!

I read that as 4 links coming in to the router but is it 4 separate serial links, or 4 separate ethernet links, or 1 serial link with 4 PVC's coming down it?
Is the router running a routing protocol?
What's at the other end of the links? Other routers, switches or hosts?
I don't think we have enough info to answer the qustion.
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds