Skip to main content

New Domain controller or Upgrade Old one

More
14 years 2 months ago #33817 by defsoul
Hi All,

We're about to get new servers since the one we have is over 5 yrs and starting to give issues, Instead of upgrading the old windows server 2003 DC,AD and DNS server, the event log is full of error (E.g Event ID 10568,13562,4000,3000,9999,1864,2092).
My Question is is it wise to upgrade to my new windows server 2008 or should I just start everything from scratch.What are the advantages and disadvantages and what problems am i likely to come accros if i do everything from scartch. I've got about 60 users so its not much of a problem to recreate users and setting up policies. Is it possible for me to have another DC (with different name) on the same network, why I would like to do this is so I can start moving users from the old DC to the new one
More
14 years 2 months ago #33859 by S0lo
As usual my memory is dusty here but I'll have a say.

Is it possible for me to have another DC (with different name) on the same network, why I would like to do this is so I can start moving users from the old DC to the new one

Yes you can. But don't do it on a new different domain name while on the using same forest IF YOU PLAN to remove the old server. If you plan to remove the old server, then do the new one as a DC for the SAME domain name. OR you can create a totally new forest.

This is because the first domain on an AD forest has some thing called "Enterprise Users". These will go away if you delete it the old domain.

By the way, there is an Active Directory Migration Tool that can help you migrate things, here:

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx...2&displaylang=en

Any one, please correct me if my info is old. I know they changed allot of stuff in Win Server 2008

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds