Skip to main content

ftp

More
20 years 1 month ago #3198 by indebluez
ftp was created by indebluez
hye guys...
how do we create a ftp site on our computer...lets say i have a huge file that i want to pass to a friend...
how do i create a ftp so tt she can connect to my pc and download it....

actually i created virtual directory online...how can she view this Virtual direcorty? i created the virtual directory using the default website in IIS.

plz help
More
20 years 1 month ago #3202 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: ftp
You need to download an FTP server and run it on your machine.. you can use Serv-U or WarFTP or a hst of other ones. Then you select a directory that will be the FTP directory, put your files there, create a couple of users and give them the passwords.

Don't use IIS to share files like this... firstly there is no authentication (yes yes i know you can set up authentication but bear with me), and also its not the way its meant to be done.

If you're behind a firewal make sure it allows port 21 and port 20

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #3203 by indebluez
Replied by indebluez on topic Re: ftp
hey sahir thanx alot buddy:)hw have u been?

i found a site that tells u how to set it up through IIS...

www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article.php/3080901

but i cant seem to figure out how to set the passwrd...i can only check and uncheck "allow anonymous logins" so no idea how to set the passwrd...help?wanna noe how to set up passwrd...
i want to allow only certain users to access my ftp dir...so how do i make my mc ask for the passwrd n userid?help plzzzz

okye i will download the warftp server...good enough for me...
inde
More
20 years 1 month ago #3207 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: ftp
indebluez,

Just a quick note, there is a neat FTP / TFTP server in our download section which is excellent and provides nearly all the functionality one would want from such a service. It's only a few hundred KB's, fast and very light on your system - give it a go, I'm sure you will like it!

cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 1 month ago #3209 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: ftp
Or better yet... read about the protocol and then write your own FTP server :) shouldn't be too hard to do !!

hehe

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #3210 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Re: ftp
IndeBluez –

To create a user list for IIS FTP you would need to create a list of users in Administrator Tools, just as if they were a user on that box, might want to create a new group and nest your users in there. Then in IIS select that group and allow IIS to handle the passwords.

I agree with Sahir and Chris however on using a different FTP Server, IIS is good if you need something now and don’t have anything right handy. You might also check into encrypted FTP servers/clients such as: SurgeFTP -- netwinsite.com/surgeftp/

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds