Skip to main content

Tracking Cisco Devices via Serial Number

More
15 years 3 months ago #28668 by skepticals
It seems that nobody really knows... humm.
More
15 years 3 months ago #28674 by Chris
skepticals,

Cisco is able to identify the model of the unit you've purchased, using it's serial number.

However, as Elohim correctly noted, the serial numbers are mainly used to track a device when it's covered by Cisco's Smartnet. Smartnet is a service you purchase directly from Cisco resellers which extends your device's warranty and also entitles you for support via Cisco's TAC centre.

If you've purchased a number of equipment off eBay, I don't think you should really care if they were stolen or legit. In any case, you've paid for them and you're not required to track down and see where they've come from.

Hope that helps clear things up for you. If you have any other question, please let us know.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
15 years 3 months ago #28679 by S0lo

If you've purchased a number of equipment off eBay, I don't think you should really care if they were stolen or legit. In any case, you've paid for them and you're not required to track down and see where they've come from.

Good to hear that Chris :) since I also got a couple of Cisco devices from ebay.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 3 months ago #28695 by skepticals
I guess my thought would be...

What if someone report the devices to Cisco and someone who purchased it bought it off of ebay. Does Cisco even listen for stolen goods? Do they keep a history of old SmartNet contracts?
More
15 years 3 months ago #28702 by Chris
skepticals,

Cisco surely keeps track of all Smartnet contracts, but I've never heard someone reporting possible stolen devices purchased from Ebay - Don't worry about it, we've all purchased stuff from Ebay :)

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
15 years 3 months ago #28720 by skepticals
Chris,

I am not worried. I have over 20 Cisco devices purchased from ebay. It was more of a brain exercise. I was just curious.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds