Skip to main content

Sniffing Switched Network

More
20 years 11 months ago #274 by machine_type
Hello,

Does anybody know how to sniff a switched network?

I have a network of about 50 and sometimes I would like to see what is going through some workstations. I do not want to install a sniffer on each one. Or is there something like a client/server setup where I can host the main program on mine and just put a lightweight one on theirs?...

Thanks for the help.

SLM
More
20 years 11 months ago #276 by machine_type
O.k., thanks

They have ported it to 9x/NT/2K/XP. It requires cygwin and WinPcap.

I have not tried it yet but will very soon.

Thanks for the help
More
20 years 11 months ago #275 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Sniffing Switched Network
To sniff a switched network is one of the coolest things one can do I recon [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thank goodness there are people out there trying really hard to make our dreams come true, and two these are ALoR & NaGA who have produced 'Ettercap' and runs under Linux, but I think they have also managed to port a version to the Windows o/s.

Ettercap is a very powerful sniffer that uses various methods (like arp poissioning) to trick the switch and make it forward packets to the port that your sniffing PC is on.

You can download your copy from ettercap.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 10 months ago #277 by jbruijntjes
Or u can span the switch ports for a limited period of time.

This can only be done with an managed switch.

Kind regards,

John Bruijntjes

"Los Angeles, year 2029. All stealth bombers are upgraded with neural processors, becoming fully unmanned. One of them, Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. eastern time, August 29.
More
20 years 9 months ago #278 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Sniffing Switched Network
If you want to see what is going on some of the switches, you can also hook up a HUB (not a linksys hub, as it is actually a switch) and put all the workstations you wish to watch (as well as the workstation that has the protocol analyzer on it).

In my case, I used to put my SQL Server on one of the ports as well as the Protocol Analyzer and watched that way. This worked because the only networked traffic we had was from all the workstations to the SQL Server.

You don't want to do this all the time as it will slow down the network.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds