Skip to main content

ddr

More
20 years 3 months ago #2541 by indebluez
ddr was created by indebluez
hi guys got a qn on DDR
what sequence should we use to configure a dial-on-demand ?
are the sequnce of parameters tt must be placed in this order...as below...?

1st- next hop address
2nd-dialer list
3rd-protocol
4th-dialer string
5th-dialer group....

does anyone noe why...i dont understand..i looked up lammel...still no clue

thanx a miilion in advance
More
20 years 3 months ago #2571 by indebluez
Replied by indebluez on topic Re: ddr
anyone help?
More
20 years 2 months ago #2812 by mew
Replied by mew on topic DDR
Is this in reference to DDR on a router with an external modem or are you talking about ISDN DDR? From your list I would guess ISDN legacy DDR?

In any case I am not aware of any recommended order. As long as you have all of the required configs it should work. Your reference to next hop is about a static route isn't it?

Anyway let me know if the following example helps. It may be that you already found an answer elsewhere in the last couple of months.

This is one of two cisco 2600 series routers with a BRI port for ISDN DDR. Just the part necessary for the BRI interface and DDR with PPP encapsulation and CHAP authentication.

hostname SanJose1

username Capetown password 0 cisco

isdn switch-type basic-ni

interface BRI0/0
ip address 192.168.16.1 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast
encapsulation ppp
dialer idle-timeout 60
dialer map ip 192.168.16.3 name Capetown 5554000
dialer-group 1
isdn switch-type basic-ni
isdn spid1 51055512340001 5551234
isdn spid2 51055512350001 5551235
ppp authentication chap

ip route 192.168.216.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.16.3

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
More
20 years 2 months ago #2817 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: ddr
This is one of those classical questions which the task can be completed in many different ways ... but you must figure out which is "cisco's" way.... so ... my opinion is this:

1) protocol
2) next hop address
3) dialer string
4) dialer group
5) dialer list

Why ?

Well, considering that you need to go into the interface where the call will be placed, and that most of these options can be configured in there, it wil be silly to choose a sequence that would require you to enter and exit the interface (eg. BRI 0/0).

Keeping this inmind, but also the logical way most devices work, my logic says that you should first configure the protocol ( i asume the word 'protocol' translates to IP protocol address) for the interface, then stick the next HOP address to make sure the routing table is correctly configured.

Once that's done ... you need to setup the DDR. This means you need the dialer string, group and list. Between these, the dialer list requires the dialer group to be already set. So the 'dialer group' comes before the 'dialer list'. Considering that the 'dialer group' is set in the interface that will perform the dialout, and that the dialer string is also configured in the same place, it would be more logical to configure the dialer string, followed by the dialer group commmand... exit the interface and then configure the dialer list command.

Does that make sence ? :)

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds