Skip to main content

Cabling concepts

More
20 years 3 months ago #2528 by Kn1ght
Cabling concepts was created by Kn1ght
I was reading your site about cable. Cat 5 Cat 3 exc.

You are talking about twisting, but I didn't get the concept behind twisting. Why the more twists the faster the cable?

I'm stupid I know... But hey I'm at this site so I'm trying to get un-stupid. :)

Knight the confused.

Thanks
More
20 years 3 months ago #2530 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Cabling concepts
The twisting is to prevent crosstalk between pairs of wires.

In fact, one of the main differences between Cat5 and Cat3 cable is avoidance of crosstalk and other interference. Cat5 is much more tightly twisted than Cat3, and the twists are more tightly controlled to be uniform in distance

Crosstalk is an issue whereby signals traveling along one pair of wires interfere with those on another. The more twists per inch of cabling, the less susceptible the wiring is to both EMI and crosstalk.

The above is from a couple of articles.

Here is a page from this site that talks about it under network/cabling - www.firewall.cx/cabling_utp.php

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 3 months ago #2531 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic Re: Cabling concepts
could you repost? Because your link isn't working and I can't find that sentance anywhere!

Thanks
More
20 years 3 months ago #2532 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Cabling concepts
There was an unwanted dot '.' at the end of the link tfs posted. I've fixed the link so you can now click on it and go directly to the page!

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 3 months ago #2533 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic Re: Cabling concepts
what is EMI?

Thanks
More
20 years 3 months ago #2535 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Cabling concepts
There are 2 types of electrical interference:

1) EMI - Electomagnetic Interference

2) RFI - Radio Frequency Interference

This is interference by electrical motors, power cables, flourescent lights, transformers, radio transmitters etc.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds