Skip to main content

router config

More
20 years 3 months ago #2356 by indebluez
router config was created by indebluez
hi guys...i got 2 qns...help would be gret:)
whats the n bit value of the configuration register which is written into the non-volatile random access memory (NVRAM)

AND
which router port provides access for local managemnt functions.

Also...
how do we do passwrd recovery...i noe its impt for ccna exam..isit like this?
start router in rommon mode...(but how do we do this?)
set config reg 0x2142
and then reload.....and then copy startup-config to running config and reset password
copy running config to startup config....
reload...
which chapter is this in lammle's book? when we reset the passwrd whats being affected or changed?why do wecopy start up config to runnin config vice versa....

i'm sorry if any of these qns are basic...but realli no clue:)
thanx a mil in advance
More
20 years 3 months ago #2357 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: router config
inde, I didn't get your first question about the conf register. If you mean how many bits is the configuration register, its 16 bits and its value is always talked about in hexadecimal (thats why to 0x) Check www.routergod.com they have a cool tutorial on the configuration register settings and what each bit does. (alternatively there's a post somewhere here called 'So you think you know your routers' which has some stuff on it.

Question two:
The console port (referred to as con0) provides local access management functions.

Question three :
You start in rommon mode by holding down break during the boot sequence. Then you set the configuration register to 0x2142 (or anything with 4 as the third value from the left) setting that tells the router to ignore whatever configuration is in NVRAM (the startup-config).

Then you reload, and the router starts without any config loaded, so you bypass the password. Then you copy the startup-config into running-config (RAM) so you can change the password. Change the password and save the new password by copying running-config to startup-config (basically overwrite the old password with the new one you've set).

The basic reason you're doing these steps is
1. Tell the router to ignore the current config
2. Boot without a config, bypassing password protection
3. Load your normal startup config with the forgotten password by copying it into RAM (running-config) from NVRAM (startup-config).
4. Change the password in the RAM config (running-conf)
5. Save your changes by copying RAM config (running-conf) to the NVRAM (startup-conf).
5. When your router reloads it requires the new password for access.

Hope that helps,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 months ago #2360 by indebluez
Replied by indebluez on topic Re: router config
hi sahirh, once again thanx alot:)
well why do we have to copy the startup config(nvram)
into the running config then reset the passwrd..
why cant we jus reset the passwrd in the startup config?
More
20 years 3 months ago #2362 by indebluez
Replied by indebluez on topic Re: router config
i was looking for the post
'So you think you know your routers' but i cant find it here....is there a search field here..where i can search the forum?
More
20 years 3 months ago #2363 by sahirh
inde, you have to copy the start conf to running conf before resetting the password because when you configure the router you configure to the RAM, you don't configure direct to the NVRAM.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 months ago #2364 by sahirh
Also, you can search the forums, at the top of the page in the black bar where it says 'forums' there are a few options in blue text, one is 'search'. Here's a direct link if you miss it.

www.firewall.cx/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds