Skip to main content

vlsm

More
20 years 4 months ago #2095 by stevooo
vlsm was created by stevooo
Hi everyone. This is a great site!!! Thanx for all the downloads and information. I'm a student in Cisco Networking Academy program working on a case study. I have to apply vlsm to subnet all the different departments. My problem is that I tried to use Cisco Configmaker to draw my diagram and to apply all the ip addresses but it would not let apply vlsm unless I had arouter separating the networks. I have 3 departments that are running off of switches that are connected to one router. I need to apply vlsm to each of those departments but configmaker won't let me. Is this alimitation of configmaker? I,ve been trying to find diagrams where vlsm is applied just using switches but I can't find any. Any input would be appreciated. Happy Holidays!!!

Steve
More
20 years 4 months ago #2102 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: vlsm
tfs is ex Cisco Academy, he should have an idea.. though it sounds like its doing the correct thing.. you would need a router to route between the subnets.. so maybe the program wants you to do that first..

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #2109 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: vlsm
Sounds like Sahirh is correct. I did have the configurator, but never used it.

It does appear to be doing the correct thing. VLSM stands for "Variable Length Subnet Mask". This presupposes that you are going to subnet. If you are going to subnet, then you are obviously going to need a router.

I assume the program is saying that this wouldn't make sense without a router.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds