Skip to main content

Packet Sniffer

More
20 years 9 months ago #203 by gbcxadmin
Packet Sniffer was created by gbcxadmin
What is a good packet sniffer to learn how to analize a network?
More
20 years 9 months ago #204 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Packet Sniffer
Gbcxadmin,

I've tried quite a few packet sniffers and I now use the Iris packet sniffer. It's an excellent product and has some very good help documentation. You can grab a copy of the program from the downloads section.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 9 months ago #205 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Packet Sniffer
I use Observer from Network Instruments and have used if for use in both the Token Ring and Ethernet environments and like it a lot. It isn't cheap, however.

I did compare it with NetMon (not the basic version) and found that it didn't come close to Observers flexibility or raft of information. On windows, for just basic information Netmon is fine. But for real analysing of your network, I like Observer.

Thanks,

Tom
More
18 years 2 months ago #13434 by zillah
Replied by zillah on topic Re: Packet Sniffer
What about CommView ?
More
18 years 2 months ago #13436 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Sniffer
I use Observer too and it really is superb. However for free tools you could do worse than Ethereal. I haven't tried Iris so I'll have to take a look at it, particularly if Chris recommends it. Nor have I treid CommView so I'll have a look at that too when I get some time
More
18 years 2 months ago #13439 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic Ethereal
i used ethereal extensively, after being recommended by friends at firewall.cx. but then since chris recommends Iris, i'll give it a try. but ethereal is not that bad as well. the GUI is great, and apart from that you can even test custom made packet structures as well.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds