Skip to main content

My first VPN

More
17 years 3 months ago #19501 by ffury
My first VPN was created by ffury
I am setting up my first VPN using 2 Linksys routers.I had a few questions.
Will dhcp be relayed across the tunnel or does both end need there own dhcp server?

Should I use static IPs on the PCs since the network is small?

Will netbios over tcip work? Will all computers show up in the network neighborhood? I assume all PCs will need the same workgroup name.

Will Ip conflicts show up accross the tunnel?

I should ignore the VPN tunnel and just think of this as one Lan right?

How much will this slow down my internet access?These router will also be the default gateway for pc access to the internet.I have suddenlink cable on both ends. This will not be a dedicated VPN connection only.

Thanks. Firewall.cx rocks
More
17 years 3 months ago #19529 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: My first VPN

I should ignore the VPN tunnel and just think of this as one Lan right?

Basically yes, and that outlook will answer most of your points. Regarding the DHCP, if you set up a 'remote worker' style VPN rather than a 'point-to-point' you can define a range of IP addresses on your local LAN at your VPN router that will be given to the clients when they connect. You'll need to make sure these aren't already in use elsewhere. Also remember that the basic IP addresses of both ends of your VPN connection (the IP addresses before the above address is allocated) need to be on different IP networks. This is a common mistake.
Finally, yes it will slow your internet down. How much it affects it will depend on how big your internet connection is and how good your VPN routers are.
Good luck with the implementation. If you get stuck post and we'll help you
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds