Skip to main content

Fileserver Best Practices

More
17 years 3 months ago #19500 by ffury
Here is the scenario:
Setting up a fileserver at a dentist office consisting of 14 XP machines.
All PCs need to access the fileserver and printer.The dental program needs access to records on the fileserver to pull up photos and patient info.
Previously, a Xp Pc was used as a fileserver.The XP Pc was only capable of accepting 10 connections.It is no longer adequate to serve 14 Pcs.

What would be the most cost effective solution?
1.Linux w/samba* Commercial cost?
2.Network Attached Storage ***I am not sure of how many clients can simultaneously access one of the NAS devices like Linksys or Ximeta.
3.Windows Server 2000 or 2003? What is their fileserver PC access default number. I am a little vague on client access licensing.What does it cost? Is it yearly or one time? Printer access limits?

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I'm not lazy and dont mind doing my own research.I have not found a good site explaining fileserver best practices.

Thanks,Firewall.cx Rocks
More
17 years 3 months ago #19515 by DaLight
If you're comfortable with Linux and know your way round Samba then you may want to go that way, however if you're more comfortable with Windows, then Windows Small Business Server 2003 may be more appropriate. You are allowed to connect up to 75 users and you get Exchange 2003, SharePoint Services, a Fax Server and Outlook 2003 (for the clients) thrown in at a price point that is suitable for small businesses. The licensing payment is a one-off unless you go for Software Assurance.

If however, all you want is a central storage location, with no added features, then one of the low-cost NAS options like the Linksys Instant GigaDrive which don't require to install software on the clients. The Ximeta product requires this which is why I'm not a big fan. The Linksys Instant GigaDrive device can also function as a DHCP server, is very easy to setup and also has a parallel port and can function as a print server. The irony of it all is that it runs Linux and Samba on the inside.
More
17 years 3 months ago #19660 by smitherton
Is this a file server or an application server? For the software that your client uses to get 'photos' and 'records,' is it really just a file with documents or is it a piece of software that has a built in database? I have a hard time believing that this software just pulls .jpgs and word documents from a server.

If you do end up needing a server to execute scripts than I would be really cautious about using linux as it might not be able to run your operational software.
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds