Skip to main content

Distance vector routing protocol, error?

More
17 years 3 months ago #19428 by skylimit
Hi, I was just wondering if what i read on this page is correct. It says that: "Distance Vector protocols view networks in terms of adjacent routers and hop counts, which also happens to be the metric used. The "hop" count (max of 15 for RIP, 16 is deemed unreachable and 255 for IGMP), will increase by one every time the packet transits through a router"

Is it increase or decrease by one im not quite sure?Please clarify . thanks

www.firewall.cx/distance_vector.php

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
17 years 3 months ago #19437 by S0lo
As far as I know it increases by one. Do not confuse this with the TTL value which decreases.

According to some references that I have here, Yes RIP uses hop count as limiting factor to prevent loops, (>15 is unreachable). It also uses hop count a metric.

However, IGRP uses hop count as a limiting factor, but does not use it as a metric. IGRPs metric is calculated using 4 values: Bandwidth, Delay, (and optionaly) Reliability and Load. This composite metric appears to have nothing to do with the maximum hops count.

In IGRP, by default more than 100 hop count is unreachable. But this can be changed to up to 255 using a command like this

[code:1]R1(config-router)# metric maximum-hops <hop-count>[/code:1]

Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
17 years 3 months ago #19464 by skylimit

As far as I know it increases by one. Do not confuse this with the TTL value which decreases.

According to some references that I have here, Yes RIP uses hop count as limiting factor to prevent loops, (>15 is unreachable). It also uses hop count a metric.

However, IGRP uses hop count as a limiting factor, but does not use it as a metric. IGRPs metric is calculated using 4 values: Bandwidth, Delay, (and optionaly) Reliability and Load. This composite metric appears to have nothing to do with the maximum hops count.

In IGRP, by default more than 100 hop count is unreachable. But this can be changed to up to 255 using a command like this

[code:1]R1(config-router)# metric maximum-hops <hop-count>[/code:1]

Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks i think you are correct. i was confusing it with time to live (TTL) which decreases by one as it traverses a router on its path to its destination. thanks

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
17 years 2 months ago #20013 by vk
Replied by vk on topic re:
Hi Guys,
In addtion of this EIGRP is also having limited hop like IGRP by default more than 100 hop count is unreachable. But this can be changed to up to 255 using a command said by s0lo.

this hop count cocern only for design point of view.....
correct me if i am wrong!!

If there is a WILL,There is a WAY.
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds