Skip to main content

CAT 5 cabling

More
21 years 3 days ago #193 by SmartDude
CAT 5 cabling was created by SmartDude
Dear Admin,
Do we really have to follow the coloring standard while cabling. Like u said orange white(no.1) orange (no.2) green white (no.3) green (no.6). in straight thru.. If i use single color cable like orange (no. 1) blue( no. 2) green (no. 3) and brown (no. 6)for our convenience coz sometimes in some wires we could not see orange/white or brown/white/s. what could happen if i use like this. Does it have effect in network performance. I m really confused and i m sure u gonna clear it. HOpe u got what i mean to ask u? See ya Chris.

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
21 years 2 days ago #194 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic CAT 5 cabling
Sussane,

The name is Chris, not admin [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If you decided to use the wiring method you mentioned: orange (no. 1) blue( no. 2) green (no. 3) and brown (no. 6), chances are it will work, but this dosen't mean its the correct way to do it.

You see, the reason we follow the 586A/B wiring method is to eliminate any possible problems that might occur. If you take a closer look, you will notice that with any of the two methods (586 A/B), pins 1 and 2 are part of the same pair of wires and therefore are twisted between each other. The same applies for pings 3,6. They too are part of one pair, twisted against each other.

This "twist" has a magical effect of cancelling any crosstalk or interference that the cable might be exposed to.

A simple example would be a UTP cable running near an electrical cable. The electrical cable produces electromagnetic interference, and could very easily disrupt or corrupt the small voltage signal in our utp cable, thus creating communication problems.

So, in order to avoid such situations and also future problems, we make sure to stick to the 586A or 586B wiring method. It might be something very difficult in your case, and could also possibly require more work on your behalf, but it will certainly pay off in the long run and minimise your future network problems as far as cablings concern.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds