Skip to main content

Can i have a question on OSPF DR and DBR election

More
17 years 7 months ago #17108 by ccnx
Hi

have been very puzzling with the DR and BDR election in a OSPF area network. as predetermined, the first condition of being a DR is the parameter "priority". however, if all the routers were having the same priority number such as 1, the router with the higher router ID would be the DR. also, the router ID is based on the highest numerical active ip address. Therefore, based on the all those understanding, here comes a example....

router A f0: 10.4.0.2 /16

f0:10.4.0.1/16 Router B f0:10.5.0.1 /16

Router C f1: 10.5.0.2 /16

(Assume that all the routers are having same priority)

as shown above, two network are known, they are the 10.4.0.0 and 10.5.0.0 /16. the election of DR and DBR would be as following:

network 10.4.0.0: router A is the DR(its address is numerically higher than the other), Router B is the BDR

network 10.5.0.0: Router C is the DR(same as above), Router B is the BDR

However, as the answer given, my thought was proved to be wrong. the answer is router A is the BDR, router B is DR, Router C is DR.

Finally, my question is: any 1 can tell me where i m wrong???

thnx so much[/img]
More
17 years 7 months ago #17184 by Elohim
election of the dr and bdr is only for the subnetwork that the link is on. Therefore, for the subnetwork that links both router A and Router B, router B would be the DR because the highest IP address on the router is used as the router ID and therefore for the link between A and B, B has the highest router ID. Now, for the link between router B and C, C has a higher iP addressed, in turn, that became the router ID and so for that link C is the DR.

Hi

have been very puzzling with the DR and BDR election in a OSPF area network. as predetermined, the first condition of being a DR is the parameter "priority". however, if all the routers were having the same priority number such as 1, the router with the higher router ID would be the DR. also, the router ID is based on the highest numerical active ip address. Therefore, based on the all those understanding, here comes a example....

router A f0: 10.4.0.2 /16

f0:10.4.0.1/16 Router B f0:10.5.0.1 /16

Router C f1: 10.5.0.2 /16

(Assume that all the routers are having same priority)

as shown above, two network are known, they are the 10.4.0.0 and 10.5.0.0 /16. the election of DR and DBR would be as following:

network 10.4.0.0: router A is the DR(its address is numerically higher than the other), Router B is the BDR

network 10.5.0.0: Router C is the DR(same as above), Router B is the BDR

However, as the answer given, my thought was proved to be wrong. the answer is router A is the BDR, router B is DR, Router C is DR.

Finally, my question is: any 1 can tell me where i m wrong???

thnx so much[/img]

More
17 years 7 months ago #17189 by Gosbollen
Highest active interface IP = Router ID, no matter which network it connects to.

That's why your Router B is elected DR over Router A.
More
17 years 6 months ago #17197 by ardeef
hello!
-i have question regarding ospf priority-
My understanding about ospf priority is that the lowest priority number will have the highest priority value such that if I set the priority number of Router A to 1 and Router B to 5, then Router A will have the highest priority.
Am i correct?
More
17 years 6 months ago #17200 by Dove
Yes, Correct, while select if any of the router having the lowest priority then that will be elected as DR. If more than one router priority is same then the IP address will be considered.

Dove
More
17 years 6 months ago #17215 by Gosbollen
nnbnbArdeef,

OSPF priority ranges from 0 to 255, where

0 = Router will never be elected DR
1= Default priority

The HIGHER the priority, the higher the elecitive value.

Your Router B will be DR.

www.cisco.com/warp/public/104/17.html#priority
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds