Skip to main content

help me how to subnet class A, B & C

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20878 by ashok_nitc
yea dove!! thanks i already knew this concept...while i was just playing with this subnetting. but i didn't know that automatecally i introduced to the new concept!!
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20889 by Smurf
Yawn......

Righty, durk21, going back to your very first post, we were high lighting that the first and last HostIDs of all 0s' and all 1's are usable in some vendors implementations of their TCP/IP stacks.

The first post had on the bottom;

Also on a side note 255.255.0.0 falls under CLASS A but for right now we will call it a class B to simply show the math. The first Class B subnet is 255.255.128.0

This is where these last 3 pages or so came from. How you can make such a statement when the subnets are;

Class A = 255.0.0.0
Class B = 255.255.0.0
Class C = 255.255.255.0

is what we are going on about. This is Classfull subnets since these are the default subnets for these classes. In the older days (before me) the subnet didn't really exist as the first octects first bits were used to determine its class. When people wanted to start further manipulating the number of networks/hosts the subnet mask came into the equation, VLSM.

Back to the above statement, 255.255.128.0 is a Class B (255.255.0.0) and you are further deviding it down using the third octect which is VLSM (well thats what i thought was VLSM).

Unless i am missing something over the past 3 pages then this is pretty much what this was all about, hmmm i think ? lol.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20902 by durk21
FROM WHAT CISCO HAS EXPLAINED TO ME

IS THE LAST RANGE IS A CLASS A SUBNET when not using VLSM

Quote:
Also on a side note 255.255.0.0 falls under CLASS A but for right now we will call it a class B to simply show the math. The first Class B subnet is 255.255.128.0

This is where these last 3 pages or so came from. How you can make such a statement when the subnets are;

Class A = 255.0.0.0
Class B = 255.255.0.0
Class C = 255.255.255.0

is what we are going on about. This is Classfull subnets since these are the default subnets for these classes. In the older days (before me) the subnet didn't really exist as the first octects first bits were used to determine its class. When people wanted to start further manipulating the number of networks/hosts the subnet mask came into the equation, VLSM.

Back to the above statement, 255.255.128.0 is a Class B (255.255.0.0) and you are further deviding it down using the third octect which is VLSM (well thats what i thought was VLSM).

Unless i am missing something over the past 3 pages then this is pretty much what this was all about, hmmm i think ? lol.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20907 by Smurf
Ok then, i'm tired of disagreeing.

Think i will stick to my own way because what you are saying just doesn't make any sense unless i am missing something :wink:

Anyhow, enjoy the rest of your stay

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20910 by durk21
you are missing something bc its not something i can explain i just know it works i dont argue it just works ive used it in labs and this is how the teachers have explained it so i just use it.
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20937 by ashok_nitc
well durk21,
i am completely agree with Smurf...! you can say that 255.255.0.0 is the last range of subnet mask for class A. but not last subnet.

its possible that last subnet of class A is 126.255.0.0
but 255.255.0.0 is impossible for class A subnet.

if you say 255.255.0.0 is a subnet. then it will be a subnet of class E.

because for class A network/sub-network or for Class A IP address
first bit of first octet must be 0. so maximum number possible with first bit as 0 is 128. so subnet can take any no between 1 to (128-2=)126

i guess you got the point!
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds