Skip to main content

BACKBONE AREA IN OSPF

More
18 years 2 months ago #13656 by subha517
Why backbone area in ospf called Area 0?Could any router in ospf backbone area be configured as a stub?If 'YES' any disadvantages by doing that?If 'NO' why?
And why all the other areas must be connected to the backbone area?

Can we configure entire backbone area as a stub?

PLZ ANSWER
Thanq
More
18 years 2 months ago #13657 by d_jabsd
Replied by d_jabsd on topic Re: BACKBONE AREA IN OSPF
nnbnbArea0 is a reserved area. It is always the backbone area.
A stub connected to the backbone should be its own area, as it will only get a default route from the ABR. If you need more than a default, use nssa, which allows Type 7 LSAs that are converted to Type 5 LSAs at the ABR.

I suggest you take a look at www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technolog...186a0080094aaa.shtml

I do have one complaint with that doc though. It says Area0 is required, but this is really dependant on your OSPF design.

I am currently implementing OSPF for 5 Motorola Canopy Access Point sites. All five sites are part of a single area, area 1. Should we need it, I can easily add Area0 at the core, but it is not required in a single area environment.

All areas need to be connected to the backbone area as the backbone needs to know about all areas in its domain, however this does not need to be a physical connection. You can use virtual links for areas that do not have a physical connection to the backbone.
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds