Skip to main content

Loopback address

More
18 years 5 months ago #11688 by susetechie
Loopback address was created by susetechie
Hi All,

I have what seems to be a very simple question, but the more it rattles around in my head, the more confused i become.

I understand what the loopback is for, or maybe i understand this in the PC world. I understand that 127.0.0.1 is used for testing the IP stack. well my confusion comes into place when i start looking at router configs and i see that the loopback address is often given a "real" address. how can this be? this is not a physical interface correct? and why would it need a "real" address?

TIA,
M

"Go away or I will replace you with a very small shell script"
More
18 years 5 months ago #11692 by jwj
Replied by jwj on topic Re: Loopback address
A loopback interface on Cisco routers is not the same as a loopback interface on a NIC. It's function is mostly used in OSPF, because in the election of a Designated Router and Backup Designated Router, the highest and second highest IP address on the area routers will be chosen. However, a loopback IP address gives the admin control of which router is picked, because a loopback IP address is considered more important in choosing the DR and BDR than any another routing interface.

There are two ways of using the loopback interface. You can make it routable by adding the network to the OSPF process, or you can skip that. Most people add it to the OSPF process, so they can ping the IP addresses, effectively making it a diagnostic interface also.

Hope this helps.

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 5 months ago #11694 by mozes
Replied by mozes on topic Re: Loopback address
another use of loopback is in async communication using the Aux port or ttys... For using such a line, one should type in the Priv prompt a local ip followed by the line number.
Example given:

loopback interface : 10.10.10.10
Show line:
65 aux
Router# 10.10.10.10 6065 -> will attempt connexion via the Aux port.

I know Cisco suggests you use loopbacks in tunneling as the source address (because it's always up-up).
:idea:

always up up,
MoZeS...=)
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds