Skip to main content

Parallel Networking

More
20 years 6 months ago #1020 by paulg
Parallel Networking was created by paulg
Hi all,

Can anyone briefly explain the concepts behind parallel networking and its benefits, or point me in the direction where i can find out more. I have searched on Google, but have not found much.

Thanks,
paul
More
20 years 6 months ago #1027 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Parallel Networking
I had replied to this post in some detail.. i haven't a clue where my answer went... anyway just in brief

wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/aminet/comm/net/
search for SpakParNet on the page

I'm really not sure what parallel networking means.. though I'm sure SETI@home was a parallel networking project..

I also know that ethernet switching is based on parallel networking architecture.. thats why each node gets its own 10/100mbps path.

Other than that I'm out of my depth.. i would suggest if you need detailed information, go to
answers.google.com and for a really small fee (as low as $2.50) they'll give you more information than you'll ever need.

Hope that helps,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1030 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Parallel Networking
I'm not sure what it is either, but I found a couple of links. In the one link I'll paste it as it is pretty short as well as the link.

Research on Parallel Networking for TCP/IP Communication

KATSUYOSHI KITAI ¢¨1 , SATOSHI YOSHIZAWA ¢¨2 , FREDERICO MACIEL ¢¨2 , TOYOHIKO KAGIMASA ¢¨3 , YASUHIRO INAGAMI ¢¨2
¢¨1 Information Systems Business Planning Division,Hitachi,Ltd.
¢¨2 Central Research Laboratory,Hitachi,Ltd.
¢¨3 Software Division,Hitachi,Ltd.

This paper discusses the parallel networking feature that supports performance scalability to the number of network interfaces.On our experimental parallel processor,Paradise(Parallel and Data-way Oriented Information Server),we have developed a new IP routing feature that allows every network interface to communicate to and from the same client processor,thus providing scalable high-performance communication not only for a single session by using multiple network interfaces,but also for total system throughput by balancing the sessions among the network interfaces.The results of performance evaluation,using six Ethernet nodes on Paradise,ATM-LAN and three workstations,has demonstrated the effectiveness of this parallel networking feature.

This link is:
www.ipsj.or.jp/members//Journal/Eng/3911/article012.html

Another link (which is pretty technical) is:

www.cs.ucr.edu/~cial/paratcp/Further%20R...working%20-%2095.pdf

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1039 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Parallel Networking
If you could give us a more detailed description of what you're searching for, we could probably help you out better. Or if you could give us a couple of the links you've found, then we could follow those up and find related info.

I have a feeling you're referring to distributed computing... kinda like when you use a video editting software that allows you to render things over the network..

It sends a small slice of the video to each machine on the network, which uses its own processing power to do the rendering, and then it combines all the small slices together. Basically allows you to take advantage of the power of many machines.

Oracles Grid computing initiative may interest you.. it is something similar.. and some gurus hail it as 'the biggest computing breakthrough since the internet'. Personally, I think there's a lot of hype behind it.. as most of the people who went to OracleWorld also felt after the presentation.
www.oracle.com/events/grid/index.html?content.html

I know IBM has been researching grid computing for a while now as well.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1075 by paulg
Replied by paulg on topic Re: Parallel Networking
Thanks for your replies guys. I think i need to clarify exactly what is meant by parallel networks, as i have seen distributed computing i.e. seti@home and isp's both talk about parallel networks in very different contexts.

Paul
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds