Skip to main content

Employment choices with CCNA/MCP/MCSA

More
19 years 6 months ago #5515 by gl0bal
Hi all, this is my first post after spending several weeks checking out the website and reading some of the tutorials etc.

I need your help in employment choices please.
To paint the pic
I'm based in London and I am sitting my CCNA in December, I have my A+ an MCP and will shortly have the Net+ and MCSA.
My "official " title is Network Administrator at work but its more like jack of trades and master of none. The company does not have a lot of internal support for staff and I plan to move on.

So will it be better to stay in current role till I have say 1 year as Net Admin plus all the certs but earning less and not really getting the technical mentoring I want
OR
leave now, go contracting and seek pastures new in the big bad world?

Your thoughts and comments are all appreciated
More
19 years 6 months ago #5518 by sahirh
I recommend that you stick around.. having a job is always better.. try and get more exposure to different technologies.. request to implement new things etc.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 6 months ago #5520 by Cool_Spot
Yes, Agreed Sahirh, unless something good pops up, stay where you are

More experience the better. It will help you apply the things you learnt from the certs in a real world environment. The certs themselves should get u the interview anyway, its just how confident you are with your own knowledge, when you get the new job.
More
19 years 6 months ago #5527 by gl0bal
Thanks guys you kind of confirmed my own thinking. It gets hard at times when you can see the opportunities that are out there... that I want to run off and go for the big shiny thing round the corner.

Your voice of reason is appreciated. I plan to stick at the current job, complete the certs and get some experience under my belt at work (plus nabbing time on the Cisco lab that firewall are setting up). Found 2 cisco 1600 routers at work that are unused and unloved lying in dark corner. I may have to show them some TLC.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds