Skip to main content

CCNA advice

More
19 years 6 months ago #5473 by voodoochild
CCNA advice was created by voodoochild
Hi all,

Great website this - gotta be the most informative for networking that I've found :)

Well...I took my CCNA exam a few months ago now and failed miserably :( Now I'm kind of unsure where to go. I saw a friend a while ago who was top in my Cisco class and he's failed it FIVE times I think! He said the most he's got is 75% and he just can't be bothered with it anymore. I don't particularly want to leave it after studying for so long though but the fact that you have to renew it every 3 years is kind of putting me off.

My questions are..do I need to study anything further to take the new CCNA exam and has it really changed that much from the last? Will I need to study for whole new material all over again? It was the 640-607 exam that I took. Sorry for the long post hehe :) Thanks
More
19 years 6 months ago #5477 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: CCNA advice
5 times !! Nah.. no way.. its really really not hard at all.. its just common sense. I don't know why there's this perception that the exam is difficult.. if you know your basic networking and your way around a switch / router.. you'll come out with flying colours..

Take it easy.. do practice tests.. you'll do fine.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 6 months ago #5478 by voodoochild
Replied by voodoochild on topic Re: CCNA advice

5 times !! Nah.. no way.. its really really not hard at all.. its just common sense. I don't know why there's this perception that the exam is difficult.. if you know your basic networking and your way around a switch / router.. you'll come out with flying colours..

Take it easy.. do practice tests.. you'll do fine.

Cheers,

I know, that's exactly what I thought. I mean I heard he failed it 5 times but didn't quite believe it. Although tbh, him failing it at all surprised me because he was pretty knowledgable - a lot more than me at least! I suppose I'll just have to put in a lot more revision and see how it goes, do you know how much it has changed since the last exam though?
More
19 years 6 months ago #5482 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: CCNA advice
Well from what I've seen of the new course, they've made it a lot more relevant... the WAN technologies section has been jazzed up to the point where I don't know whether I'd pass that section ;)

The basic stuff has remained the same.. the exam on the whole is not harder.. just more up-to-date.. you have the option of taking the split exam if you think its too much material to cover.. however if you have been working with networks for anything more than 6 months.. it should not really be anything groundbreakingly new for you to learn.. of course WAN technologies is a different ballgame altogether since not all of us have the pleasure of regularly configuring frame relay, atm and isdn...

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 6 months ago #5488 by voodoochild
Replied by voodoochild on topic Re: CCNA advice
What's the split exam? Sorry, I haven't heard of that myself. I remember seeing something about a bridging course for the new exam?
More
19 years 6 months ago #5500 by The_Berzerker
Replied by The_Berzerker on topic Re: CCNA advice
Hey!
Since you've studied before i believe that you won't have a problem.
The split exam means that you can sit for two exams in order to obtain your ccna, it consists of INTRO(640-821) and ICND(640-811). I think you should go for the composite exam(640-801), and because the material has changed buy a CCNA self-study guide from cisco press or Sybex.
Don't worry it's not that difficult
cheers & good luck
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds