Skip to main content

Network + certification

More
19 years 8 months ago #4561 by thompsg
How valuable is the network + certification? I've tried looking it up and seeing what it entails but I would like to actually hear from someone who's taken it.

What is the course material? And how long does it take?

Thanks
More
19 years 5 months ago #6067 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: Network + certification
hi

yes any comments regarding the subject would be highly appreciated as i am planning to take teh exam too...i am a little bit reluctant though since the Comptia i think has released an updated version of the exam objectives..

also if you could provide some tips and techniques on how to conquer :wink: the said exam...thanks
More
19 years 5 months ago #6070 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Network + certification
CompTIA's Network + exam is a very popular exam, despite the fact its more expensive than the MCP, CCNA and most other certification exams out there!

Even though I personally think its quite a rip-off, I still recommend people to sit for it, especially if they are new in the IT-Networking sector.

The Network+ covers a wide range of networking concepts and theory, which for me is very important if your considering a CCNA in the near future. It will provide you with the fundamental knowledge you require to conquer the CCNA and other similar certifications.

I've sat for the network+ exam myself, its a 90 minute exam if I remember correctly and it only took me around 1/3 of the time. My preparation consisted of the popular Exam Cram 2 book series and the back then popular exam essential material. In all, the Exam Cram book should be enough to help you prepare for the exam properly.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 5 months ago #6094 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: Network + certification
thanks chris for the info

by the way can you provide a blow-by-blow account or even just an overview of what to expect in the exams. also, will only the objectives be dealt with in the exam?

thanks a million...
More
19 years 5 months ago #6106 by cybersorcerer
I passed the 2002 curriculum not to long ago but I can point you to what exactly they will be testing on. Follow this linK: www.comptia.org/certification/Network/Ne...k2005_Objectives.pdf

These are the 2005 objectives, so I would suggest studying that material. As far as what they tested heavily on is mainly network troubleshooting situations, basic network theory(OSI model) , BASIC and I mean BASIC network security topics, networking in windoze(98 - XP), networking protocols(mainly the TCP/IP suite) and questions about network devices(what they do and what situations should they be used in). I hope this helps, but please, do not freak about this test. I pased it in about the same time as Chris and got a 91% with some ease. Good luck!

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
More
19 years 3 months ago #6948 by MJ5150
Replied by MJ5150 on topic Re: Network + certification
If you are new to IT, the Net+ is definitely worth taking. I started with that, and am studying for my MCSE2003 and CCNA right now.

The Net+ gives you a good foundation to work from as you learn more vendor specific technologies.

As far as what is covered.....literally everything. Since it is vendor neutral, it touches on all aspects of networking. You will get questions on old and new topologies. Some of the questions are exhibits, and some are multiple choice. There are also a few where you need to provide a couple answers to get the question right.

You are only going to pass this exam by reading, and doing more reading. Hands on will go a long way too. If you plan on grabbing a brain dump, or something like TestKing, don't waste your time. You need to KNOW how to DO this stuff, not just answer a handful of questions.

-Mike
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds