Skip to main content

How do you get/use a Cisco Contract?

More
13 years 11 months ago #34600 by WarlockD
nnbnbCurrently I am at a community college learning to get my CNNA and eventually my CNNP. I have picked up an ASA 5505 cheap.

However, it seems figuring out how to configure the router pale's in comparison to figuring out how to buy support for it:P

I have an SKU: ASA5505-BUN-K9 and all I want is just software upgrade access (I can't use ASDM because of the java bug) and maybe online support documents. I believe the SKU is CON-SNTP-AS5BUNK9 for it.

www.ciscohardwaremaintenance.com/catalog...UNK9-25-p-162121.htm

The link above is where I got my SKU information. So now what? This vender is out of country so is there a way I can directly buy it from cisco? There is this "contract manager" section, is that where I put the info in?

I sent a support email to cisco, but it seems like a very difficult process.
More
13 years 11 months ago #34606 by Chris
WarlockD,

It seems like you're a bit out of luck.

I'm actually working on a Cisco warranty-service article that covers this process, however, here's what it boils down to:

If you have a Cisco device out of warranty or support contract (Smart Net) then you firstly must purchase a new support contract.

This contract will provide you with minor updates and access to the Cisco TAC (Technical Assistance Center) where you can open cases with Cisco engineers who will deal with your problems in every aspect e.g configuration, software upgrades e.t.c.

To purchase this contract (which is done through a Cisco partner), because the machine is not currently covered, Cisco usually requires you to pay an additional amount of money in order for a Cisco authorised partner to perform a series of checks to your product and ensure that its in a working state.

If this doesn't happen, Cisco will not cover the product with a new service contract - for the obvious reasons of course.

Usually, the cost of getting the equipment checked is a lot higher than the original contract (don't ask me why - that's how it works!) and therefore might not be a good option depending on how much the equipment was purchased for. This is also why its never a good idea to let any current contracts expire and not renew them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
13 years 11 months ago #34608 by S0lo
Chris,

Useful info. I'm guessing the contract comes also with online access to IOS software upgrades. Am I right?

Is there is a legitimate way to get the IOS software upgrades from cisco without a contract? Or may be paying for a smaller type of contract?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
13 years 11 months ago #34611 by WarlockD

Is there is a legitimate way to get the IOS software upgrades from cisco without a contract? Or may be paying for a smaller type of contract?

It looks like they do have a contract just for the software/knowledge base section. Your still paying about $70 a year, but it gives you software updates at the very least. I am waiting on the vendor to send me a contract as I had forgot to put my serial number in the original order.

I look forward to that write up Chris. I think the ASA 5505 for learning is a bit of a mistake though. It seems we are going over 1841 or the 2800 series. I am missing object-group's off the ASA:P
More
13 years 10 months ago #34647 by WarlockD
Just got my contract a few days ago and I can use the Cisco website to download updates and read the knowledge base.

To be honest though, I spent a fair bit of money on the device itself, so you would think it would come with a one year agreement for just the software updates. The contract itself was just a little over $60 so it wasn't such a price jump.

But then, when you go cisco, you don't have to upgrade your equipment every year so they have to make money somehow:P
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds