Skip to main content

Thoughts on online practice tests vs real tests.

More
14 years 2 months ago #33561 by Nevins
Occasionally when I get tired of reading I like to answer random generated subnetting questions or do a practice test here or there to help me gauge what I know and still need to learn. Occasionally I run across a contradicting question or question with a lot of grey area and wonder if the CCNA/CCENT1&2 ask convoluted questions that don't have great answers.

I'm picking a random question from the internet which I got "wrong" but I could argue it's right.

[img

The above question which does not show any network layout states host A is communicating with "The server". Then it proceeds to give the above 4 answers.

I chose C because without a visible topology I assume "the server" is connected NIC to NIC via a crossover cable and there would be no routers.

Then it says e0 was the correct answer. Which I could argue but that is not the point. What I'm wondering is what is the level of ambiguity on the actual tests?

I know from taking the "review" on cisco's website at least the review has at least one questionable questions so I can only imagine the same thing would be the case for any tests. What are your thoughts?

(note it's public domain and not actually part of the CCNA exam so posting the picture isn't a crime in this case. Also btw the review is listed at learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1638 )

[img

The actual content of the questions for this discussion is immaterial I was simply wondering how often after answering a question on a cert test do you think the question was phrased poorly?

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
14 years 2 months ago #33564 by TheBishop
I know what you mean.
In the example you showed, their thinking is that word processing, spreadsheets and graphics creation can be done quite happily on a stand-alone pc, whereas email, databases and "collaboration" (by which I think they mean several people co-operating to produce one document or report) can only really be done over a network.
It's a moot point though, as those of us that live and work in the real world know full well that spreadsheets and word-processed documents in a corporate setting are of little or no value unless they are "collaborated" over and pulled from a network share.
That's what bugs me about many vendor certification exams. They claim loudly that they are testing for 'real world' skills but a fair part of what they are actually testing for is how precisely you think about the actual words they've used when under exam stress. And it's always completely right or completely wrong - you think and see the world precisely my way or we mark you down
More
14 years 2 months ago #33567 by Nevins
Sounds familiar:

It's Cisco's world you just live in it.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds