Skip to main content

security+

More
20 years 1 month ago #3058 by MaXiMuS
security+ was created by MaXiMuS
hi ,
i am looking forward to do few security certifications ..... well i cracked security+ yesterday :lol: , wanted to know what comes after this?? i mean , what all options do i have ??
More
20 years 1 month ago #3067 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: security+
Congrats on security+, if you're interested in security as a career then you'll need more powerful certs than that though, sec+ is meant more for admins who want to show they have some security knowledge.

I would recommend you look at the CISSP (have some work experience), and all the GIAC individual certifications www.giac.org/

I'm planning on doing either
GIAC Certified Firewall Analyst (GCFW)
GIAC Certified Intrusion Analyst (GCIA)
GIAC Certified Incident Handler (GCIH)
GIAC Certified Forensic Analyst (GCFA)

However I really have to find the time for them and the CISSP.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #3068 by MaXiMuS
Replied by MaXiMuS on topic hi
hi sahir,
thanks for the info.I'll check out the link ..... as far as CISSP is concerned , they demand 3 yrs of work ex. amd mine is zero :cry: ... have u heard of CEH.. the certified ethical hackers certification.. if yes please lemme know if its worth being taken.. actually what should be my next step as of now ?? should i be going in for further certifications or should i wait till my masters are over ?? Actually i am even looking forward to do my summer internship of 4 months in the field of security. Could you tell me what all are the fields where i may get to work ,security being a top notch affair for most corporates....thanx a lot
More
20 years 1 month ago #3071 by sahirh
Hey Maximus, never heard of the CEH, let me just caution you about the whole ethical hacking thing.. a lot of people really take the word the wrong way and it could actually hamper your chances of a job (IMHO) especially in India. I was recently at a meeting here in mumbai where there were quite a few corporate types and they were very put off by the whole notion of ethical hacking... if you do exactly the same things but call yourself an information security professional they are much more forthcoming.

As far as internships are concerned, it might be difficult as there are very few security companies in India right now and the ones that are around invariably want highly qualified people.

That said, you can look at a company called Highband which has a base in Pune ( www.highband.net )
the other ones that might interest you are NII ( www.nii.co.in ) and Paladion Networks ( www.paladion.net )

The other thing you can do is just get an internship at a company and do security for them, that should give you enough machines to play around with and use a few as a lab to pick up some hands on experience since most of us don't have a home LAN.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 8 months ago #4539 by Nur_AnGel
Replied by Nur_AnGel on topic security exam
hi..... :lol:

i am tinking of taking security+ before the end of the year, can u guys suggest me any book that i can read or anyting that i can do in order for me to prepare for the exam...i plan to take it around december......because i heard that the exam is very difficult and i would really2 like to have a good preparation before the exam
More
19 years 8 months ago #4557 by sahirh
Security+ is not difficult dont worry.. its just really theoretical (IMHO). Frankly the cert doesnt mean much -- it didn't catch on as well as it was supposed to, because its neither here nor there..

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds