Skip to main content

Gaps in your career and/or learning history

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #29842 by NeoTech
Okay guys thanks for the input.

I think a CV review is in order. The one i have is okay but im missing a few things like those years, which i would probably be better explaining in a cover letter.

Unfortunately D , i have no job experience of which to speak, i thought once id made up my mind id just focus on the education for a bit, i took on 2 courses and went from there. I knew i wanted a caree in IT but I was doing it mostly out of interest, bearing in mind that it's going to improve my employability at the same time. Over time i developed a bigger apitite for work and ive now been looking for suitible employment for over 6 months.
I've had a couple of callbacks from my CV but no interviews as of yet.

I realise this isnt the purpose of the site but would anyone care to review my CV? It'd mean a lot to get an opinion from people that have been in the field a few years, even better if you're in the UK.

Thanks again guys, your opinions mean a lot!

Neo
Tech
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #29852 by TheBishop
I think you're right about the experience; employers like to see it on your CV as it shows you can do the job. You might think you don't have any but I bet you do. Firstly, what projects have you done for your own benefit? Networked your house? Set up a website for a friend's shop? Diagnosed and fixed your PC after a major disk crash? Make a list of all the notable bits of work you've done, then write a paragraph for each one stating what the problem/task was, the steps you took, the decisions you made and why, and what you learned/gained. Put those together in date order and you have a portfolio! And second, while you're looking for a paying job, volunteer. Find somewhere you can work or help, even if part time, for little or no pay. The experience will look great on your CV, you'll learn loads and it may even open a door for you. Charities, schools, local community projects etc or even smaller commercial companies are all worth a look. And again, add it onto your CV as experience and into your portfolio
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #29873 by NeoTech
I guess if you're including personal things i do have a fair bit of experience. ive been building my own systems and managing my home network for 7 years lol, During which time ive been supporting my friends and family too.
As for volenteering, im already at a software house in liverpool once a week. they dont have a lot of work for me though as its only a small network and is stable for the most part besides the odd printer installation. Ive built 2 systems and set up one printer for them in the past 3 months lol.

Once college is over in a couple of months i may end up taking anything i can get while i keep looking in the IT sector as cashflow is becoming a major problem. Hopefully ill find a place before then but its looking unlikely.

Thanks again for the input!

Neo
Tech
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #29883 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic well basically.....
Well NeoTech ur initial post touched me at heart. We've all had hitches and obstruction if i should say but man i leave u with this:

I will put u in prayers though i don't know u but as a team mate i will put u in prayers. The Devil cannot stop your drive, U are born for a reason remember that.

God be with u, it's well with ur body.

U'd be fine believe me.

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #29891 by NeoTech
Talk2sp, that was a very touching post. Thank you.

Neo
Tech
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #29907 by TheBishop
You see, you've got lots of experience when you think about it. Make sure you find a way to communicate it to prospective employers
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds