Skip to main content

LOOKING FOR: a book describing protocols

More
20 years 1 month ago #2905 by lasher
These are great comments thanks! I have Illustrated TCP/IP volume one, but I have never seen the other two volumes. I will check out Amazon.com.

Thanks again. Also, if anyone would care to check out my website and give me suggestions regarding the website or the product!!! I would appreciate it. Bare with me though, both are brand new.

Alan
alan@shakti-software.com
www.shakti-software.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #2912 by sahirh
I already checked out the website after reading your post.. it looks really good (is that a 3d generated image of the box pack ?!?!)

I can really feel your pain when it comes to the development process as I was just writing mine as a learning exercise and it was hard enough.. making a polished product will be difficult and very commendable.. I have a couple of questions..

firstly -- does it run on Windows platforms ? In which case what packet capture library are you using WinPcap ? If not and you've written your own capture system then does it capture packets on a dial-up connection ?

As you might already know Microsofts implementation of PPP is so random and undocumented that the guys who make Winpcap refuse to support it or have anything to do with it.. as a result finding a tool that will perform packet captures on a dial up connection is very difficult.

Good luck with the product, hope it comes out well and drop us a line when its complete maybe we can check it out and put up a review in the cool software forum.

Btw, I don't know if you know but we are on the look out for a network programmer.. this is all voluntary work and on your own time, but if you're interested check out the main page there is a link to a submission form through which you can give us a few details about your background etc.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 6 months ago #5507 by lasher
:D
Well, I did it. My protocol analyzer is finished and loaded on the web and available for download. I call it LanRaptor!

What I ended up doing was using a database of protocol descriptions that drive generic software to interpret packets, and throwing in a tool that lets the user define any protocol he wants to, although I got about 60 protocols predfined so far and I am continuing to add to the list!

If you would like to support this effort, get your companies to buy it! (LOL). But even more important, try it and tell me what you think! I could use some objective eyes and constructive criticism, after you program this long, you do lose objectivity.

Thanks,

Alan
alan@shakti-software.com
www.shakti-software.com
More
19 years 6 months ago #5508 by lasher
A couple more comments regarding LanRaptor and then perhaps I should really change this thread to a different forum.

I would love to hear from you all regarding: What capabilities are missing that you need? What would you change? What do you think of the price(both the current low price and the price starting in january)? What bugs have you run across? Any other comments?

Thanks!

Alan
alan@shakti-software.com
www.shakti-software.com
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds