Skip to main content

study/prep technique for the 640-802 exam

More
16 years 3 months ago #24799 by skylimit
nnbnbHi all, I'm currently looking to take the above exam soon and wanted to seek advice from people who have been there before. I was just wondering what will be a good way to prepare/study for the exam. I'm thinking of studying each of the topics as they are listed here: www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-802.html but then it will take a while to cover everything and before I get to the end of it I would have forgotten loads of stuff. Is this a good way to prepare or is there a better way? I'd like to know how people have prepared in the past. I'm not really after cram sheets and the likes...Any responses will be most appreciated.

many thanks in advance

PS. I also plan to answer past questions as I cover each topic..

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
16 years 3 months ago #24843 by skylimit
Lol! It kinda amazes me why no one replies to this sort of posts....Oh well I guess I'll have to stick to my own plan of studies...

More
16 years 3 months ago #24844 by skepticals
I'll take a stab at it. I didn't respong originally because there are over a trillion post like this - with answers.

Depending on your current skill level I do not think I would follow the topics list. I would suggest getting a Cisco Press study book: ciscopress.com.

I would also try to get some hands-on experience if possible. I don't know what your budget is, but I spent a great deal on eBay to put together a lab. This would not be necessary if you are only going to get the CCNA. You could use a simulator or nothing for that matter, but it would help.

Each individual has their methods for studying. I have a hard time memorizing a million little definitions and factoids; I prefer to do labs to get the information to stick. You could also document your thoughts while you do labs to help you. I know what you mean when you say you forget everything. I would say go through and get an overall picture of the topics and slowly start putting in the details. It's hard, but try to ignore the fact that you may not fully understand a topic - it will come to you eventually! Just keep at it. Go through a book more than once. I also like to have 2 books from different authors in order to get two different view points. Sometimes, I can get a better understanding if an author words it differently.

Aside from that, post all your questions on here. I am happy to help, if I don't know the answer I will try to figure it out that way I can learn as well.

Does that help at all?
More
16 years 3 months ago #24852 by skylimit
It does help. many thanks!

More
16 years 3 months ago #24853 by skepticals
I wasn't sure if I answered your questions or not. In my opinion, I would try to get your hands on some real gear if you can afford it.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds