Skip to main content

New to CCNA and I need advice

More
17 years 4 months ago #18823 by fwgrizzwald
I'm sure you guys get a lot of these newbie questions so sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence.

I am very interested in obtaining my CCNA by February or March of 2007. I began studying back in October. I have no networking experience and very limited access to Cisco equipment and lab time. I bought an All-In-One study book a few years ago and this is what I'm studying the most out of. I plan to get my CCNA then get my Network+ then A+.

My questions are
1. Should I even bother getting the other certifications? The one I'm not so sure of is the A+

2. What sort of job opportunities open up with the additional certs I want?

3. Will I study long enough to pass the exam?

4. Any practical advice for me to pass the exam?

5. Any websites offer free acces to a virtual lab or a cisco simulator?

Thanks guys for all you help.
More
17 years 4 months ago #18831 by jwj
1. This really depends on what job you want. I'd advise getting all of the certs because companies will screen resumes for details like that. A+ and Network+ are also very get foundational certifications.

2. You are going to find that experience and college education will get you the furthest in your career, generally. The certs displays you have a base knowledge, with CCNA, they will expect you to know how to configure and administer some fairly basic Cisco networks. Certs can get your foot in the door these days, a friend of mine got his A+, then was hired in a helpdesk type of position, promoted into network admin, got a few more certs and college credits, and now has the experience and paper that can get him a network admin job most anywhere.

3. If you are an effective studier, this should be a good time frame for testing. Try and get as much practical experience as possible before the test, but also understand the theory.

4. See above and ask a lot of questions with people who use Cisco equipment (like on this forum).

5. Not sure about a virtual lab, but the lab here is almost public. It uses real Cisco equipment that you configure to your desires. I beta-tested it, and it's going to be a great resource for training.

The only thing I'll add is make sure the information in your book is current. You said it was a few years old, and it would be terrible to be studying things that aren't on the test anymore.

-Jeremy-
More
17 years 4 months ago #18838 by fwgrizzwald
Thanks for the answers. My book was printed in 2001 before they split the test up. It seems like most of the material is still practical. Soon I will buy a new book just to be sure. It covers the basics well, like subnetting, LAN and WAN config, OSI model, and TCP/IP. I definitely check this website regularly to see if anything I'm studying is out of date.
More
17 years 4 months ago #18928 by Starfire
nnbnbBack in July I wrote a thread showing commonly used study materials that might help you get started.

www.firewall.cx/ftopicp-15568.html#15568
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds