Skip to main content

personal firewall

More
19 years 7 months ago #5169 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic zonealarm
I used ZoneAlarm for sometime till I found another really good personal firewall that I like called Kerio Personal Firewall. You can create packet filter rules to block or filter out traffic. When creating rules you can select specific ports and IP addresses to block and permit really easily. Everytime a program trys to install whether its something you downloaded online or a new game, it will ask you for permission. You can set permissions for specific programs so it doesn't keep asking you, or just permit that one time and have it ask if another similiar or exact instance occurs again later. It also has a built in intrustion detection system that tells you and identifies the attacker and IP address.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
19 years 7 months ago #5174 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: personal firewall
ZA will let you create advanced rules as well.. its a little buried in the advanced firewall config section, but it supports a fair degree of granularity... as far as built in IDS goes.. either you *have* an IDS or you don't have an IDS.. the best example is the Cisco PIX internal IDS.. it really doesn't do much..

When do the update signatures ?
How reliable are the signatures ?
Can you create your own signatures ?

Separation of duties.. if you want an IDS, get snort www.snort.org

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 6 months ago #5470 by gohan
:wink:

hi there,

Even if u use the best firewall, u still can be affected or hacked. There are programs wich disables your firewall & antivirus. so be carefull abt things that u download. u might not know may be the programs u download might contain a trojen or some other user programs. many ppl think trojens will be detected by antivirus programs, not really. There are some common trojens which the antivirus detects, every day many trojens are created with different features, unique ones, these wont be detected by the antivirus. If these programs are activated, no matter how powerfull ur firewall is, it disables them.

so be carefull wen u download programs. Try download from official websites. most shareware, freeware programs have trojens attached.
During chat , u accept files, which is very dangerous. ppl who u think are nice, trustfull, might not be that trustfull. They might send u trojens. These ppl change the icons, file extentions to jpeg or bmp, so ppl who accept these files execute it thinkking its safe, its just a picture.

:roll: oops the letta is too big i guess..woo i am not .. goin in detail.

:idea: so ZA, Norton firewalls are good. There are probs with zone alaram like some sites are blocked coz of the settings. Wen it comes to mails some extentions cannot be attached. All u have to do is change the settings.
before using ZA read the help.lol it will be helpful.
ZA free version doesnt do ny good. ZA pro 5.1 is good.

:arrow: never install more than 1 firewall. it might crash ya system.

so peeps have a nice time........... 8)
Gohan :)
More
18 years 7 months ago #10014 by daimous
Replied by daimous on topic Re: personal firewall
SYGATE PERSONAL FIREWALL PRO STILL ROCKS!!!!! it has all the stuff that you need!!! if you wont agree, why dont you just check this out! -> smb.sygate.com/products/pspf/whatsnew_pspf.htm
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds