Skip to main content

FIREWALL AND ANTI SPAM/VIRUS

More
16 years 8 months ago #22891 by sidekick
I want to implement Exchange 2003 SP2 in my office with 100 accounts.
Does exchange have a built in firewall and filters that can be used for anti spam and virus protection?
More
16 years 8 months ago #22893 by Smurf
Exchange doesn't have a Firewall or even use a filrewall.

Spam and Virus isn't part of Exchange either, you will need to get add-ons for this functionality.

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22898 by DaLight
As from Exchange 2003 SP2, spam blocking technology(Intelligent Message Filter) has been an integral part. It's definitely not best of breed but I use it on my system and it works pretty well (and it's free)
More
16 years 8 months ago #22901 by skepticals
I have heard that the spam filter in Exchange 2007 works well. I am not using it myself and I also think you have to setup an Edge Transport Server in order to get it to work. Regarding a firewall, Exchange doesn't have one, but you have to run Exchange on a Windows server that does - not that you would want to use that one.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22906 by Smurf

As from Exchange 2003 SP2, spam blocking technology(Intelligent Message Filter) has been an integral part. It's definitely not best of breed but I use it on my system and it works pretty well (and it's free)

Ofcourse, my appologies, isn't this the thing that the Outlook Spam Folder uses aswell ?

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22907 by DaLight
Yes. You can set two Spam detection thresholds at the gateway. Anything above the higher threshold gets deleted or archived for review by an admin. Anything between the thresholds gets sent to the intended recipient's Outlook Spam folder, and anything below the lower threshold just gets passed through as normal to the Inbox.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds