Skip to main content

pix 515 upgrade

More
16 years 11 months ago #21901 by lomaree
pix 515 upgrade was created by lomaree
hi everyone,

i have pix 515E with 64MB RAM , Flash 16MB with Restricted License and PDM installed using version 6.3(4)

I need to upgrade it to version 7, so is it possible that the upgrade will be successfull or would i have to put more RAM before doing an upgrade.
More
16 years 11 months ago #21903 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: pix 515 upgrade
Hi,

I think you may be ok, the advisory on RAM states that for Version 7 you need 64Mb for Restricted. Take a look here

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 11 months ago #21904 by lomaree
Replied by lomaree on topic Re: pix 515 upgrade
great thanks,

actually there is another question, which i read in the documentation that if i have PDM installed and try to upgrade to 7 with 64MB then it would not be possible and also the procedure of upgrade should be through monitor mode instead of network.

any ideas, suggestions or advice on this.
More
16 years 11 months ago #21915 by Smurf
Sorry not sure on that one. I wont install the PDM unless its absolutley necessary as it provides an additional service that the firewall is doing (increases its attack footprint by adding more services).

The update is quite simple, i am sure there is a Cisco paper on this somewhere (if you need it then let me know and i will find it).

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

More
16 years 11 months ago #21935 by lomaree
Replied by lomaree on topic Re: pix 515 upgrade
thanks smurf,

actually i was trying to get addtional adivce as i will be doing it today. any screw ups can be dangerous.

surly i know the upgrade procedure, has done it in live with number of firewalls but not in with this scenario.

thanks anyways.
More
16 years 11 months ago #21947 by Smurf
I updated our firewalls from version 6.3 to 7 and it was a simple process. Luckily, i had enough space to copy the new version 7 code over and maintain the old version 6.3 so i could easily roll things back if it wasn't happy.

I would suggestion making a backup copy of your config, the upgrade to version 7 will convert the config for you and it should create a backup of the original. I would still make your own backup of the config file. Also, i would check through the upgrade notes because some of the version 6.3 commands have changed (fixup is gone), most of them will be automatically converted to the new syntax but i cannot remember if there was a few others that it didn't do so i would strongly recommend reading the notes.

Fingers crossed for ya fella

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds