Skip to main content

Blocking unwanted sites!!!!!!!!!!!

More
18 years 6 months ago #10644 by Rockape
Good thinking jhun. I was just going to suggest looking at something like the free version of Zonealarm. I use it on all my machines, and it works quite well. I can't remember if you can explicitly block sites. Can anyone else?

Cheers
More
18 years 6 months ago #10647 by DaLight
Only the paid for versions of Zonealarm allow you to do content filtering. There is a however a nice piece of software called Proxomitron which runs on Win 95,98,ME,NT,2000, and XP. It's free and allows to youo to create blocklists and if you're handy with HTML, you can do some really cool things with it.

If you want something a bit more "out-of-the-box" on your own computer, you will really need to use one of the paid-for options. The disadvantage with these is that if you're trying to control someone else's browsing habits, they may be able to disable the software if they're so inclined. Jhun's suggestion helps to get round this as you will have to install IPCOP on a separate computer which can be secured.

If you want to go the paid-for route, a piece of software which I've tried is Cybersitter . It is pretty good and not that expensive.
More
18 years 4 months ago #12088 by futurelogix
Replied by futurelogix on topic Use hostfiles
I changed host file in windows to block certain ads and websites ...u can also do that using any text editor OR else u can use any host file changing software

Block ads using Hosts file :
www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
Block cookies :
www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm

Take life as it comes
More
18 years 4 months ago #12089 by futurelogix
But remember if u add more blocking entries to the windows hosts file then u r system internet browsing response speed will become slower!!!

Hosts file are very sensitive !!

Take life as it comes
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds