Skip to main content

hosting game server behind NAT?

More
19 years 1 month ago #7835 by Yoshi
i have a game called counter strike source on my lan. I would like to start my own "online" server that anyone playing cs:s could see on the server menue and access. now i have been told that i can only do it by getting a public ip address from my isp but that is expensive and my isp dosent do it for private use. my question is, is there a way for me to be able to bypass this or am i screwed?
More
19 years 1 month ago #7840 by stefke
Hi Yoshi,

My experience is that most ISP's block well-known ports to their clients that doen't have a "fixed public IP address ".

www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

You can however give it a try and based on trial and error check witch ports are blocked by your provider.

Regards,

Stefan
More
19 years 1 month ago #7843 by DaLight
You could use www.dyndns.org which will provide you with a domain name that will always map to your current IP address. It's free as well.
More
19 years 1 month ago #7856 by Yoshi
thanks for the help guys ill give it a shot. :D
More
19 years 1 month ago #7857 by Yoshi
oh yeah if anyone else has any other helpfull tips for me please post and let me know thanks.
More
19 years 1 month ago #7866 by cybersorcerer
The problem with most ISP's is that the IP address is not static making it hard to set up a dedicated server with a constantly changing IP address.. although, Im sure your ISP offers static Public IP's, which is what you might look into

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds