Skip to main content

Requesting help with HA design in network

More
19 years 10 months ago #4262 by n8
nnbnbI am new to this forum. I hoped I could get some advice from the community.

I have been working on a network for a couple years now and have been using static routes the entire time. I need to migrate my configuration and setup to a high availability environment.

So far I have 1 core router with a single gig fiber link to my global firewall, where I have a gig link connected to my border router. My border router runs BGP with 2 peers. My core router has a gige fiber link to all my l2 stacks. If any one of these devices fail I have an offline device with a matching configuration that I can uplug all cables and plug into, to recover from the failure.

I need to move to a topology where all my secondary devices are active with interconnecting links to the primaries. I believe I can accomplish this by using OSPF and IBGP between my border routers.

If anyone is interested in helping me out, check out my proposal1.jpg to see where I am at now.

www.conclave.us/proposal1.jpg

Here's a summary of my diagram.

Consider that each device with a 1 in its name is active now. All the 2s are my secondary devices which are offline at the moment. I believe I can directly connect the two border routers and run IBGP between them. I can then connect one of my peers to Border 1 and accept full routes. In turn I can directly connect Border 2 to my second peer and accept full routes. If any Border router fails, I still have 1 peer.

The two firewalls (FW#) are interconnected with the Border routers and my core routers, using OSPF. I believe OSPF can choose a default gateway. Correct me if I am wrong.

The two Core routers would be interconnected with OSPF and I would only connect my stacks to one Core router. If my primary core router failed, I could unplug cables and directly connect it to my Core 2 router.

What do you think? Thanks for any advice you can give.

N8
nate@conclave.us
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds