Skip to main content

Netgear Wireless 108G bottleneck problem

More
19 years 10 months ago #4191 by ZiPPy
I have a Netgear Wireless Router 108G along with a few other buds that also have the same router and we have come across a serious bottleneck issue. When surfing or on the network the speed is way below a 28.8Kbs modem. Its so incredibly slow it will make you pull your hair right out!! :shock:

Was wondering if anybody had any ideas what could be causing such a serious bottleneck. We contacted Netgear and they said they are looking into the problem and looking into developing new firmware. Let me know if anybody has any ideas or you guys need more details. l8er!

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
19 years 10 months ago #4223 by drizzle
A couple of things to note is that the 108 is a completely proprietary technology, so unless all your cards are netgear and support the 108G, you aren't going to get it. Also, mixing and matching wireless vendors is sketchy at best. I have had a lot of trouble getting d-link to play with linksys. I finally went with a buffalo card which uses the broadcom chipset and my problems were fixed.

A few other things you may want to try is testing a wired connection. If the speed is good wired, then its deffinately the wireless giving you the headache. Try turning off WEP or WPA or any other encryption/authentication you have set up. Try changing the frequency your running on. Most WAP's offer several 2.4XX bands you can run on. It may also be noise or interference or distance. I don't know what kind of antenna your Netgear uses, but there are a lot of aftermarket antennas that can really boost your performance/distance.

This stuff is all pretty basic so you may have already tried it. I'd be interested to see if you got it working right...

Drew
More
19 years 9 months ago #4338 by ZiPPy
Regarding the wireless Im not running the wireless...I am talking just about cat5 direct to my puter.

Thanks

ZiPPy
More
19 years 9 months ago #4351 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Cat5
If the throughput on the Cat5 is a s bad as you say then it could be an autonegotiation problem. Try first having a look at the port speed and mode (half or full) that your network card is set to, and whether it is set to autonegotiate or not. Try fixing both ends of the link to the same port speed and mode and see if that gives an improvement
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds